𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗲𝗹𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻.

FINE LINE - FORTHCOMING FATE

The Easter holidays were not relaxing, not even a little bit. Hermione had gotten a letter from Hagrid saying that he lost the appeal and Buckbeak was set to be executed.

To make matters even worse, exams were drawing nearer. Nobody had as much to do as Hermione. Even without Divination, she was taking more subjects than anybody else.

She was usually last to leave the common room at night, first to arrive at the library the next morning, she had shadows like Lupin's under her eyes, and seemed constantly close to tears.

Mavis was worried, extremely worried. She hardly spoke to her anymore, the only time they did was at lunch, and Mavis was lucky if she even showed up. Mavis was so worried in fact, that she had forgotten about her own homework and didn't realise how much she had to do.

She had Quidditch practice everyday, not to mention the endless discussions of tactics with Wood. Homework was not what Mavis needed right now.

The Gryffindor vs. Slytherin match would take place on the first Saturday after the Easter holidays. Slytherin were leading the tournament by exactly two hundred points. This meant, as Wood constantly reminded, that they needed to win the match by more than the amount to win the Cup.

It also meant that the burden of winning fell largely on Harry. Whilst Mavis would try her hardest to help by scoring as many points as she could, the Snitch was worth one hundred and fifty points and ultimately the game decider.

The whole of Gryffindor house was obsessed with the coming match. Gryffindor hadn't won the Quidditch Cup since the legendary Charlie Weasley, Ron's second oldest brother, had been Seeker. But Mavis and Harry doubted whether any of them, even Wood, wanted to win as much as they did.

The enmity between Harry, Mavis and Malfoy was at its highest point ever. Neither of them had forgotten Malfoy's attempt to sabotage Harry in the match against Ravenclaw, but it was the matter of Buckbeak that made them the most determined to beat Malfoy in front of the entire school.

Never in anyone's memory, had a match approached in such a highly charged atmosphere. By the time the holidays were over, tension between the two teams and their houses was at breaking point.

A number of small scuffles broke out in the corridors, culminating in a nasty incident in which a Gryffindor fourth year and a Slytherin sixth year ended up in the Hospital Wing with leeks sprouting out of their ears.

Mavis and Harry seemed to be getting the brunt force of it, neither of them could walk into a classroom without Slytherins sticking out their legs and trying to trip them up; Crabbe and Goyle kept popping up wherever they went, and slouching away looking disappointed when they saw them surrounded by people.

All usual pursuits were abandoned in the Gryffindor common room the night before the match. Even Hermione had put down her books.

"I can't work, I can't concentrate," she said nervously.