𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘀𝗶𝘅.

FINE LINE - GRIM DEFEAT

Professor Dumbledore sent all the Gryffindors back to the Great Hall, where they were joined ten minutes later by the students from Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin, who all looked extremely confused.

"The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle," Professor Dumbledore told them as Professors McGonagall and Flitwick closed all doors into the hall.

     "I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the Prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the hall and I am leaving the Head boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported immediately," he added to Percy, who was looking immensely proud and important, "Send a word with one of the ghosts."

Dumbledore paused, about to leave the hall, and said, "Oh, yes, you'll be needing..."

One casual wave of his wand and the long tables flew to the edges of the hall and stood themselves against the walls; another wave, and the floor was covered with hundreds of squashy purple sleeping bags.

"Sleep well," Dumbledore said, closing the door behind him.

The hall immediately began to buzz excitedly; the Gryffindors were telling the rest of the school what had just happened.

"Everyone into their sleeping bags!" Percy shouted. "Come on now, no more talking! Lights out in ten minutes!"

"C'mon," Mavis said to Harry, Ron and Hermione; they seized four sleeping bags and dragged them into a corner.

"Do you think Black's still in the castle?" Hermione whispered anxiously.

"Dumbledore obviously thinks he might be," Ron said.

"It's very lucky he picked tonight, you know," Hermione said as they climbed fully dressed into their sleeping bags and propped themselves on their elbows to talk. "The one night we weren't in the Tower..."

"I reckon he's lost track of time, being on the run," Ron said, looking up at the ceiling. "Didn't realise it was Hallowe'en. Otherwise he'd have come bursting in here."

Hermione shuddered in fear, Mavis taking quick notice of this and placing a comforting hand over hers. The bushy-haired girl looked at Mavis with a smile, turning her hand over and interlocking their fingers.

All around them, people were asking each other the same question: 'How did he get in?'

"Maybe he knows how to Apparate," a Ravenclaw said, a few feet away. "Just appear out of thin air, you know."

"Disguised himself, probably," a Hufflepuff fifth-year said.

"He could've flown in," Dean suggested.

"Honestly, am I the only person who's ever bothered to read Hogwarts, A History?" Hermione said crossly.

"Probably," Ron said in a bored tone. "Why?"