Chapter 21

<< FON CARLSON >>

Fon follows Myrielle as she ushers her into one of the quarters. Rissa walks beside her while Sven and Finn are with Myrielle. Myrielle is talking about the anthurium incident and the need to check everyone for any abnormality.

Entering the room, Myrielle gestures for her to sit on the couch on the side of the double-deck bed. Myrielle sits in front of her and reaches for her hand. The instant their hands touch, Fon feels the small aura trickling from Myrielle's fingers to her wrist. It was just small since Myrielle will only be checking for any abnormality.

And so, instead of insulting her meager magick–Myrielle is already straining from the use of it–Fon travels her eyes around the room. Myrielle, Sven, and Finn's chamber is very simple and surprisingly homely. She thought that Myrielle is not the type who cleans and cooks. But there are some decorations as well, even colorful designs on the wall, and she is certain that it does not come with the Academy's guest rooms. Staying here seems to be comfortable.

"Are you marveling about the beauty of my creation?" Finn interrupts, taking her attention from the quaint furniture and the organized dishes.

"You did this?" she asks, incredulous. She looks at the aberrant from head to toe. Rissa said that aberrant men don't clean. It's always the aberrant women who do the cleaning, cooking, and nurturing, unless... she smirks.

"What does that smile means?" Finn asks. Then, he nudges Sven.

"She might be wondering if you really are an aberrant man?" Rissa suggests, but amidst her words, she is hiding a smile.

"That is a very rude comment for a macho like me."

'Macho?' Fon thinks. Her eyes go to Myrielle whose eyebrows are arched. Rissa and Sven, on the other hand, are restraining their laughter.

"You are doubting it?" Finn asks. He removes his robe and unrolls his shirt sleeves. Then, he flexes his arm muscles. "Can't you see that?"

"That's gross," she comments. His muscles are bulging like little hills along his arms. It definitely doesn't look good.

"Hey! A lot of women love this!" Then, he flexes his muscles even more.

"They are crazy then. Give me a name and I will tell that witch how stupid she is," she replies.

"Aberrant women adore this. Not powerful witches such as yourself."

Her eyebrows arch at the same time that Rissa's eyes grow huge. "Really?! This gross-looking flesh is well-liked by aberrant women?!"

Finn winces and his shoulders slump. "They are not gross..." he defends.

"Why would they like something like that? Aren't they weird?" Rissa asks again while ignoring Finn's complaints.

"This symbolizes strength, power, and discipline," he answers, although his pride is wounded. "Don't you have warrior wizards with muscles larger than mine?"

"Yes, but it symbolizes their lack of magick," Fon answers.

"Don't hurt yourself," Myrielle says to Finn. Then, she removes her fingers on her hand followed by the removal of enchantments around her.

"Is she okay?" Rissa asks, her attention diverts towards Fon.

"Yes, she's okay. The disruption from anthurium did not affect her."

Finn looks at her and exclaims, "Amazing, Fon! You escaped both the anthuriums and Utente unscathed!"

'Unscathed?' she asks herself. She knows that she is not! She has the mark and she doesn't have the same level of magick as before! So, Fon narrows her eyes at him.

"She's..." Finn starts and nudges Sven. "... angry at me?"

"She doesn't like you," Sven teases.

Finn laughs and scratches the back of his head. "Maybe she hates me because I am an aberrant?" Then, his eyes widen again. "But seriously, Fon. You really are amazing compared to a useless aberrant like me. I was kicked and defeated by Utente in under a minute."

"Don't underestimate yourself too much," Rissa interjects. "You are fascinating in your own way." There is a glimmer in her eyes that Fon knows will translate to interest.

"Do you really think so?" Finn asks, a little embarrassed, which Rissa answers with a vigorous shake of her head.

"Don't listen to her, stupid," Fon says. "That girl thinks that all aberrants are intriguing, right, Sven?"

She looks at Sven and catches her gazing at the embarrassed Finn. She frowns. What is that? That looks a lot like how Ayin looks at her.

"Oh!" Sven exclaims. She reddens when she discovers that she is looking at her. "I need to talk to the both of you," she says, changing the topic. Sven looks at Myrielle and Finn and adds, "... privately. So, we'll be back... maybe... later," she stutters.

Yet, she continues to glare at Sven even when the three of them are going out of the chamber. A few meters away, Rissa asks, "What are we going to talk about?" There is an expectant look on her face.

Sven flushes all the more. "Actually, I have nothing to talk about." She glances at her and then focuses her gaze on her hands. "I just want to get away from the room."

Rissa is fine with it. However, Fon is thinking. She pauses and the other two witches look at her. She reminisces about what happened when Utente is able to enter the Academy premises. Utente is saying something about the smell of Seraphim.

"Fon, what's wrong? Shouldn't we head back to... wherever?" Sven asks.

"No, she can't. She will be leaving with the mother of the Great Wizard of the North today."

"Is that where we are going?"

The two continue to banter, but she rubs her chin and crosses her arms on her chest. It needs some more research. But she will be leaving today and she doubts if she'll ever find the time to do it. She might not even be able to meet Myrielle and Finn again.

No, she will do it now. She will postpone the travel with Madame Rose. She will be angry but this is more important. Besides, there is an anthurium attack, she can use that as an excuse.

She turns her attention to the other two and says, "I will be going to the library for a while. I will be back," she says. She turns her heels and comes face to face with an injured Ayin.

"Hi," he greets.

"Hi," she answers back.

"Fon, maybe–"

Fon evades him and then without looking, she leaves Rissa, Sven and Ayin who are looking at her back.