Chapter 23

<< FON CARLSON >>

Fon walks the hallway together with Rissa and Sven. The hallway is long and curved, with pillars along the sides and fading paintings hanging on the wall. The floor is composed of cold black stone, perfectly polished and smooth like a riverbed.

"The apprentices are avoiding you, Fon," Sven comments as she looks around. "Why?"

"Probably because they felt my aura," she answers matter-of-factly.

"That can be a factor, but not enough reason. Besides, your magick has been decreased, right?"

"No thanks to you."

"Is it weird?" Rissa interjects.

"Yes. Because in our Academy, others usually surround the powerful witches." She turns her attention to a young wizard, but he bows his head upon seeing Fon. "You know, something about sharing the glory."

"Ah, that," Rissa says. "It's because she beat up a senior witch. It was so bad that the witch in question was unable to graduate."

Sven pauses. "Why are you beating people up?!"

"It was a challenge," Rissa answers for her. "Here in Freya Academy, challenges like that are formally given. It's usually superseded by the instructors."

"But to beat them up..."

"It was a senior. The current top apprentice of the year," Rissa says with pride.

However, Fon looks away. She doesn't want to talk about it. It's the reason challenges have been frowned upon lately. It's her fault. She's not able to stop herself.

"Was it Fon or the senior who voiced the challenge?"

This time, there is silence. Rissa looks at her, asking for permission to tell Sven.

"I am an orphan, and I was left to die alone until an orphanage found me," she answers.

"But even so... It's not weird to have orphans from Aberrant orphanages. In fact, based on–"

"I am an orphan from the Void," she cuts her off.

Sven's jaw drops as she shifts her gaze from her to Rissa. But Rissa simply nods, her face expressionless and unreadable. Sven is too stunned to speak or move.

"Witches and wizards with relationships with Aberrants are called an aberration. My sister is called like that because of her relationship with Finn," she says out loud. "But being an orphan from the Void means you are also an aberration."

Fon nods. "I am guessing people are not afraid of your sister?"

"They are not! In fact, it only gives her a bad reputation, and they always underestimated her!" Sven exclaims. "I just can't believe there is such a difference in the treatment when you are both regarded as an aberration."

"Lucky for her, then."

"So, no one knows why you have a massive supply of magick?"

She just shrugs her shoulders. A young witch comes out of the room, but upon seeing her, she hurriedly re-enters.

"How did you come here, anyway?" Sven asks.

"Philomena found me. I was six when I entered the orphanage. I keep on bouncing between houses. But I am mainly adopted for only two things: to become a helper or a playmate for their kids."

"That still explained nothing."

"I am a playmate to their kids, Sven," Fon says as if it's already enough explanation.

"Don't tell me you accidentally used your magick against an aberrant child?"

"I did," she answers, a smirk on her face.

Rissa leans closer to Sven and whispers, "She hurled her playmate out of the window, causing him broken bones."

"Oh!" she exclaims.

She sneers. "The couple was so angry that they threw me to a snow-covered mountain to punish me. I am about to return to the city, to my family in the orphanage when the wolves found me first. That's when I used my BeastMaster voice."

"I won't tell anyone about your voice," she promises, her voice barely a whisper. Then she asks, "But, is that where Philomena found you?"

"Yes. Philomena heard my cries as I tried to fight the wolves. She was about to save me when I used my voice. Afterward, we went to the orphanage, and she officially adopted me."

"So, Philomena is your stepmother?"

Fon scowls at her. "No. She is just my guardian."

"I wonder if you are already giving off the aura of a witch during that time?" Sven asks. "Because witches don't normally help aberrants."

"Philomena says I am letting a trickle of magick out of me. That's how she found me."

Stopping in front of Fon's chamber, Sven suddenly exclaims, "Since you will leave tonight or tomorrow morning, how about we plan some strategy to prevent Rissa from being bullied?"

She scowls, and her eyes go to Rissa.

"She saw me being bullied before," Rissa responds. "And we are also talking a lot lately, so I told her about it, too."

Rissa shifts her attention to Sven and says, "There's no need to worry about me, Sven. I will be just fine. I can handle them."

As if Sven didn't hear her, she suggests, "How about we write on the school board about Fon being the evil antagonist?"

"She is not like that!" Rissa complains.

Fon pushes open the door and walks towards her clothes. She will only bring a single bag. Besides, she only has a few items.

"I know she is not stupid," Sven says and sits on the bed. "It's just to ensure that no one will bully you once we are gone. Alexander and the other teachers will not always be around to help you out."

"I can take care of myself," Rissa answers. Like Sven, she sits on the side of her bed.

"Since Fon will marry the Great Wizard of the North, I doubt she will have the luxury to travel back and forth between the North citadel and Freya Academy."

Closing her tiny closet, Fon turns her attention to the two young witches.

"Sven, your plan is still too simple," she remarks. "It is also childish."

Sven pouts. "Wait until you heard the entire plan before you judge if it's childish or not!"

Sven rises to her feet and turns her gaze towards Rissa and her. There is a slight furrow between her eyes.

Then she suggests, "Let's go to the dining hall! Dinner will start soon, and we might as well use the opportunity of when the majority of the apprentices are gathered in one place."