Chapter 30

Fon watches as Remington walks back to the dining table. When she senses that he doesn't plan to continue with the conversation, she sits quietly beside Hector. Aderes, Azalea and Avis sit in front of her while her mind wanders about what Remington had just said.

Madame Rose and Remington automatically become engrossed in conversation while Hector and Lector are silent as they eat the sumptuous feast before them. The three helpers are also deep in conversation as they talk about household chores and strategies to be more efficient in cleaning.

"Since we will be here for a few more days, may I ask if Fon can learn something new here?" Madame Rose asks, which makes her raise her brows.

"Me? Learn something from someone subpar?" she asks. She's not informed that there's a plan like that!

"She can browse through the books in your study," Madame Rose continues, ignoring her complaints.

"Hmmm, I suggest that she masters what I taught the twins first, though," Remington answers, referring to both Hector and Lector.

"That will take at least a week, right?"

"So, are you not in a hurry to reach North?"

"I am before, but with you here, I feel more safe than anywhere," she answers. "Except, of course, when I am with my son."

Remington chuckles. "I'm guessing you come across some troubles while on your way here?"

Madame Rose sighs before admitting, "We came across a dark wizard that looks like a little boy. His name is Kaine. Sounds familiar?"

"Is there anyone with him?"

"No. But he's really skilled and fast. He almost captured Fon if not for Hector."

"That's not true!" she complains.

"Did you kill him?" Remington asks, ignoring her again.

"No. It's a clone. Despite that, the twins, including Fon had a hard time getting rid of it."

"There is only one person I know who can do that," he says, pausing for a little while. "However, he is the same age as me, not a little boy. And, he is a real danger. The strongest wizard I ever knew."

"Oh, you are referring to that crazy guy."

"Yes. And if it really is the same person, then all the more reason for you to stay here until such time that Fon can protect herself. It will be bad if he ambushes you on your way to the North."

"I can protect myself," she interjects again as she places a slice of roast beef in her mouth. "If only the two of you stop and ask me, then you could have already arrived at a conclusion."

This time, Remington looks at her, but with an expression of exasperation. "Your last encounter with this Kaine-person proves otherwise."

"Only because he got lucky," she continues while eating. "I can defeat him," she claims, even if she knows that it will be hard.

"Hmmmm," he mutters as he observes her. "That is something we need to fix."

This time, she looks up at him. "I need no fixing! I am not broken!"

"Not broken, huh..." he mumbles. "And this unfounded confidence... where does it come from?"

"It's not unfounded! I have results to back it up!"

"Results?" he asks, almost sputtering the words. "What kind of results? Being good in the academics? While you are in school?"

She frowns at him. "I know, because things have been too easy for me. I know that there is nothing that will come my way that I cannot handle!"

'Well, maybe, except Utente,' she thinks as she subconsciously reaches for her mark.

Remington's eyes follow to the place where her mark is, and she automatically withdraws from holding it.

"None that you can handle? Even before you go under Philomena's wing?"

Fon glares at him, and he answers it with nonchalance. Instead, his eyes transfer to both Lector and Hector, as if he is not afraid of what she can do to him–and there is a LOT! She is sure she can make him kneel before her–while he is praising her magick!

"Change of schedules," Remington announces. "From tomorrow morning until lunch, Fon will be with me. After lunch and before dinner, both Lector and Hector will train you in physical combat. After dinner, Madame Rose will teach her about proper etiquette. Alternatively, Fon, you can also browse through my books in the library."

"Why would I even do that?!" she asks, her voice rising.

"I thought you are the type who likes to learn. Am I wrong?"

She clicks her tongue. She can say nothing against that. "Then..." she starts, changing tactics. "How can a subpar wizard teach me something? Are you going to teach me a new skill?"

"No," is the blatant response.

"Then you are a useless Watcher!" she gibes. "I'd rather train with both Hector and Lector the entire day!"

Remington sighs and puts down his fork. "Are you aware that around this island is the Void?"

She scrunches her face. 'So that shimmering aura is not a barrier?! But some kind of a byproduct from the Void? How is that possible?! Moreover, why is he changing the topic?!' Fon thinks.

Yet, even if she is surprised by the information, she excuses, "How would I know that?! I just arrived yesterday!"

"With that reaction, I guess you don't want to come with me to inspect the barrier and see how the Void is incorporated into it?"

She frowns at him. It does sound exciting, but being goaded by him is annoying. "You–" However, she stops herself when a smile forms on his annoying face.

"You are very frustrating," she comments.

"I heard that a lot."

She relaxes and leans on her chair. After reaching for her spoon and playing with it for a while, she whispers, "Fine. I will go with you."

"It's decided then," he says and she can't help but be flustered at the way he maneuvered around her. She nods whiles making a mental note that she will be careful next time.