Chapter 24

<< SVEN KLEINFELD >>

Sven steps into the Great Hall, where the apprentices eat their meals. In the middle of the room, Ayin is chatting with another young woman. She can't help but blush and sneak a look at him. Ayin is holding a present with a flower design on top. All the other students are cheering until they noticed Fon walking in.

"This isn't the place to flirt," Sven comments as she passes through him.

"Standing in the middle of the Great Hall and facing each other is considered flirting?" Fon asks.

Ayin speaks in a low voice to the female student, who dips her head and then walks away. Ayin strides towards her, Rissa and Fon, but only acknowledging her and ignoring the other two.

"That was really cold of him," Rissa comments. "Am I on his bad side, too?"

Fon's magick swirls around her before she responds, "Take a look."

Ayin's footsteps stop midway as he approaches the entrance of the Great Hall. His eyes widen in terror as Fon's gaze lit on him. Fon's fingers twirl in a small, tight circle, and Ayin's body slowly rotates to face the crowd, as if his movements are being pulled by an invisible string.

Sven scowls. She places a hand on Fon's shoulder. "Cut it out, Fon. Leave him alone."

"Who said anything about bullying? I'm just giving him a lesson," Fon replies, gesturing with her hands to free Ayin's mouth. "So, what can you say to yourself?"

Sven rolls her eyes. Sometimes, Fon really is too much.

"You want to teach me a lesson, yet you're as rude as I am," he hisses. Except for his lips and tongue, his entire body is still rigid.

"What do you mean?" Fon questions.

"I tried to speak with you earlier, but all you said was hello before walking away."

Fon repeats his question. "Like I said, what are you talking about?"

Sven thinks for a while, then she remembers. "Ah! Fon, Ayin is talking about that time we just came from the Kleinfeld's chamber."

"Ah, that. I might be too focused on something else," she replies before turning on her heels.

"Fon, you forgot to let him go," Sven yells.

Fon takes a quick glance at Ayin and her, then shrugs her shoulders. "I don't feel like setting him free."

She groans and hangs her head as Fon and Rissa walk away, leaving her and Ayin in the middle of the apprentices who start to whisper.

Without a choice, she let out a sigh and says, "Fine, I will do it!"

Sven turns towards Ayin. She presses her hand against his chest and pushes her magick against him. A jolt shoots through Ayin before the petrification magick completely disappears from him.

"I am sorry about this, but please try to understand, Fon," she apologizes.

Ayin stretches his body. He looks visibly annoyed and frustrated. "Understand her about what? Her abusive nature?"

"She's actually kind."

Ayin cocks his head and smirks. "What part of her is kind? If you didn't remember, she always hindered my progress in the Search."

"That's different. If you get to know her, you will understand her form of kindness."

"As you remembered earlier, I tried. Nothing happened. She ignored my attempts."

"But you won't discount the fact that I have overflowing magick now because of her. She didn't even try to force it out of me."

"Ah! So you are benefiting from her. That's why you think she is kind. Because right now, I don't see any semblance of kindness in her."

Sven whisks the extra magick away. It's still too much and uncontrollable. "You were unconscious when Utente came into the Academy grounds, so you don't know. But Fon saved all of us during that event."

"Saved us? No. She's saving herself."

"If she's only saving herself, then she should have escaped and not care about us. That way, her magick won't be siphoned from her. If you don't know, the magick she gave me far exceed my own."

Ayin stares at her. "You are lying."

"Why would I lie? Besides, I can give you more demonstration if you want more proof."

When Ayin still does not respond, she adds, "I won't even be able to free you if not for Fon's magick inside me. And I know she knows that. That's why she didn't remove her spell from you."

They eye each other skeptically, weighing the truth of the words each spoke. Ayin lets out a loud sigh and rests his hands on his hips.

"Let me tell you something to think about," he begins. "Before Prim was captured and taken away, she warned me never to trust the Council. But that was because she thought I would win the Search."

Sven purses her lips. Ayin pats her shoulders and continues, "We may be both young, but you are younger. And you seem to trust people more than I can. That's why I am saying the warning to you."

"Fon is not who you think she is."

Ayin's shoulders tense up, and he turns away from Sven without a word. For a moment, Sven stands frozen in place, not knowing what to do. Finally, she takes a deep breath and follows Fon and Rissa, who both had expectant looks on their faces.

"So, what's the plan?" Rissa asks with a touch of eagerness in her voice.

Sven scans the Hall, noticing the apprentices hurriedly eating their food so they could leave. She then spots Fon, who seems unaware of the effect she has on the other students.

Taking a deep breath, she strides to the platform and speaks up. "Although there has not been an official proclamation, I believe that most of you already know that I will be the next Great Witch of the East."

She pauses. The apprentices are looking at her. What Ayin just said about the Council is playing on her mind.

"For everyone here, I am grateful to all of you. However, I would like to let you know I abhor bullying. So, if anyone is being bullied, then all you need to do is reach out to me or anyone from my clan, and I will take the proper investigation and the corresponding action."

Sven glances at Fon at the exact moment that she is smirking at all the students. She even let out her magick to make the other students cower from its strength.

Sven sighs. At least, that's not the same level of magick that Fon lets out during the Dragon Taming event in the Great Search.

"As you surmised, my friend Fon will occasionally drop by. Not to mention that I will be close to Freya Academy."

Silence.

"This concludes my first speech as the incoming Great Witch of the East," Sven says and bows.

Rissa seems to like it, so she bows as well, mimicking Sven. However, she trips on her own robe and falls flat on her face. Sven is about to laugh when Fon's laughter overpowers hers.

Rissa's laughter echoes off the walls of the Great Hall and Fon extends her hands to her. And while that's ongoing, Sven scours the Great Hall. Everyone has their mouths agape, in awe of the laughing Fon.