Chapter 17

<< PHILOMENA >>

When Fon, Madame Rose, and her two guards left Philomena's office, she can notice the change in the old lady's voice. That is better though especially when dealing with Fon who has the tendency to flare up based on the attitude of whoever she is talking to.

She sits in her office chair and opens the bottom drawer. In a white envelope with purple highlights, she takes the letter from Theofolso and reads it again.

To my Great Teacher Philomena:

Greetings!

I have divined a dark future that involves you. Sometimes I ask myself why dark divination never failed to include you. But this time, it's different. That is why I asked my dear mother to go there with the best wizards I have at my disposal.

This divination only appeared to me a month ago, so I am hesitant to let others know. However, please be aware that I have seen this so many times afterward, so I am now assured that this will come to pass.

Philomena, the divination is warning me of a grim, sinister future. I have thought of numerous countermeasures, but all resulted in an even darker one. It involves a witch prodigy at your disposal. A poor girl with the goal of becoming a Great Witch and providing for her huge family. She is confident in her magick but is equally immersed in her studies. She also had a dark past. I hope you would know who that is.

There are two solutions I found that will lessen the darkness that lies ahead. One is to allow me to marry her and teach her how to overcome her dark sides and overconfidence. Two is to kill her. And knowing you, I am certain you dislike the second solution.

Most importantly, please don't mention this to her. We both know the events that will take place if we tell the main person involved right? I hope I will have your cooperation.

From Your Apprentice in the Past,

Theofolso, Great Wizard of the North

That brat. She flicks her wrist and fire appears. She places the letter above it and burns it until only ash remains. Until now, she can't believe the conceit of the younger wizard. If only his divinations are inaccurate, she will never send Fon away.

She leans on her chair and massages her temple. The reason he wants to take Fon away from her is not to teach her. That is just a front. If all else fails, the brat wants to kill Fon and she can't even warn the little girl! And worse, she is sending her to her own demise, to her killer, by tempting her with the Great Witch title.

No, she can never tell Fon or the young girl will fall into the idea of darkness. Theofolso and her cannot make the same mistake again. However, if she keeps Fon safe within the Academy walls, the future that Theofolso had divined will eventually come true.

***********************

<< FON CARLSON >>

Gray skies loom in the sky the morning that Fon and Rissa sit on the benches. Fon's trunk of clothes is outside the Academy and Madame Rose is waiting for her. However, she won't pass up the chance of watching the final challenge for the Great Search.

Fon watches the events unfold in front of her. On the Academy grounds are Cesky, Ayin, and Sven who are the only ones qualified to take part. It looks so nostalgic and yet, she is mulling over how mediocre the candidates are. She wonders how the East will survive a tragedy if one of them actually wins the Great Search.

There might be a chance if Sven becomes the Great Witch, and she grows up and matures on the job. But for Cesky and Ayin, East will be doomed if the dark witches decide to attack.

She sighs, and that did not escape Rissa's notice. "What's up, Fon?"

"That." She points at the grounds where the three candidates are standing with their brooms ready. They are expectant as they stare at the portals in front of them. Jayden probably set it up.

"Don't worry about it, Fon. You will still become a Great Witch through the Great Wizard Theofolso," Rissa assures her.

They look at each other and Rissa smiles at her. She already told her about what happened in the room. And as she expected, Rissa is more thrilled than she is. She already claimed the position of being her maid of honor even if Madame Rose said that the wedding won't happen until she is eighteen or twenty years old. It depends on her maturity and preparedness to become a Great Witch. However, the engagement will happen as soon as she comes into the Great Wizard's household.

"I still prefer to become a Great Witch through competition. I don't like marrying a wizard to become one," she comments.

In other regions, Great Searches are done to identify who will become the next Great. It's a little different with the North though. They have Great Searches too, but it's not the battle-centric ones that they are familiar with in the East. And so, to compensate for that, wizards and witches with little attack power marry those with one. Wizards marry witches. And sometimes, witches marry witches too.

"For me, it sounds romantic being engaged to a Great Wizard," Rissa swoons. "They said he is good-looking and gentle. He also lost a lover years before he became the Great Wizard. They whisper that it's the reason he became eccentric."

She scowls at her and Rissa grins. "In a good sense, you don't have to worry, Fon."

"So your eccentricity, is it as good as the Great Wizard?" she asks.

Rissa's face contorts. Rissa likes some mystery, but there is no mystery with a public figure like him. His biography is even written in books that are available in most libraries.

"Don't bully me, Fon," Rissa says and hugs her arm. "That rumor is true."

"It is called a 'rumor' for a reason, Rissa."

"Well, at least you are still young. But!" She turns to her and beams, "Don't wait until your wedding to invite me there!"

"Ha! Stop inviting yourself into households."

"Come on! Surely, you will be able to request it from him. You can ask Madame Rose too. I can take an indefinite leave of absence to come with you."

"You are just being lazy with your studies." Rissa pouts and Fon smiles before saying, "Fine. I will try to ask if I can invite you. Once you are there, you are free to scrutinize him then."

They smile at each other, but the moment is broken when Jayden's voice booms from the Academy grounds.

"Now comes the last and hardest part of the Great Search! So, buckle up and enjoy the challenge!"