Chapter 19

<< FON CARLSON >>

Fon looks around her. It seems like no one can see the Anthurium. Not even the judges. Everyone else is smiling as they watch the stupid Ayin while he parades the last item on his list.

Anthuriums are named after the same flower with the same name. It's mostly because of its plant-like attribute. It has a red and yellow head and green tentacles that serve as its root. As a mythical beasts, anthuriums give hallucinations through singing. Its singing is potent on aberrants, but even more so on witches and wizards.

And that makes it weird. From what she understands, witches can only be affected if they hear the start of the song. However, she hasn't heard it sing outside the portal. If it sang inside the portal, then this must be a powerful anthurium, given that even witches outside are also affected.

Another puzzle is that anthuriums can affect witches the most. The more powerful they are, the more they get affected, as long as they hear the start of the song. Then why the hell is she not affected? Did her magick become depleted to the point that she can sense these nasty beings?

Suddenly, the anthurium shifts. With its massive green roots, it braids itself to Ayin's legs. Then, Fon watches as he gets dragged by the anthurium across the grounds.

Yet, Ayin is still smiling. His arms are raised and there is no hint of pain or fear in his form. He is completely oblivious to his impending death. From time to time, he even glances at different students on the bleachers, followed by a massive cheer from his stupid fans.

With no other choice, Fon looks for Finn. He is the only aberrant in the area. However, like everyone else, there is a smile on his face as he claps with the others.

"If he is in trouble, will you please save him?" Rissa interjects. There is a crease in her forehead and, from time to time, she narrows her eyes to search the grounds. "I still cannot see it, Fon," she adds. Yet, she still believes in her.

"Rissa, you stay here. No matter what happens, don't come down to the grounds," she warns.

To make Rissa see, she needs contact with the anthurium and then, she needs to let her magick flow into her. And she doesn't want Rissa to even touch that beast.

And so, she calls up her grimoire, and her broom comes out of it. It makes a little tingle before the broom lay itself obediently in her hands. At least, her broom is still loyal despite the massive reduction in her magick.

She rides her broom and flies to the ground. Hovering above Ayin, she smirks at the contradicting scene. He is being constricted. He is getting violet because of the pressure, and yet, his megawatts smile is not vanishing from his face.

When he shifts his attention to her, she asks, "What's up, big man? You getting the time of your life?"

"What are you doing here?!" he asks, his smile disappearing from his face. "You are no longer a candidate!"

The anthurium slithers underneath her. Anthuriums are one of the most dangerous beasts to the witches. Mainly because of its ability to pinpoint magick. No matter how dormant the magick of the witch is, anthuriums can still affect us. And thus, witches battled them by restraining the flow of their magick.

She thinks it is an unwise move, though. Anthuriums can feel a witch's magick no matter how confined it is inside them. More importantly, without magick, anthuriums are very hard to kill.

"Just checking how victorious you feel right now," she responds.

Color creeps up on his face. "I am doing great if you really like to know."

Her smile widens. Of all the beasts, this magick-less wizard attracts one of the most dangerous beasts of all. Is his luck also stupid? But then again, maybe... she can gauge her abilities now that her magick is greatly reduced?

"I will be honest with you, wizard," she starts. "There is–"

A series of shouts and jeers resound on the grounds. Fon winces at the noise. Someone even shouts that she plans to make him suffer again and that she must be stopped. The stupid witches, if only they knew. Thankfully, the panel of judges is not doing anything except observe–in case she does something to him.

"What is it?" Ayin urges her.

She looks down at his suffering body. "Seems like there is a unison of disapproval for me being here."

Then, she smirks as the tentacles lift him and one anthurium tube opens up. He really does attract trouble.

"W-what's f-funny?" he asks, stuttering in the process.

"You," she answers.

She swoops towards him and touches his cheeks. She frowns when the red in his face gets a deeper crimson. Then, ignoring his reaction, she allows her magick to pour into him. It's one way to wake up another being from the potency of anthurium's hallucinogen properties.

"What are you plan–Ahhh!" he screams. He finally realizes that he is about to become food to a mythical beast, and so she can't help herself but laugh.

Despite her laughter, she offers her hand to him and asks, "Are you coming with me, or do you want to get eaten by that beast?"

Ayin did not hesitate. He reaches for her outstretched hand and Fon pulls at him. However, the anthurium did not let go.

"That delicious, savory aura! I want that!" the Anthurium croons. "Come to me and I will let everyone go!"

Fon groans. An anthurium who can speak, what else is worse?! Moreover, she has enough of weird beings who want her for her magick. Never again will she let another Utente happen to her!

And so, she activates her magic, and when she condenses it, she warns, "Let go of the powerless wizard."

Ayin flinches at that. But she has no time to take care of his wounded pride. She pulls at his hand again, but the anthurium is not letting go.

Annoyed, she says, "I warned you."

In a split second, her wind magic cuts off the tentacle that's holding Ayin. Using a more gentle variation of wind, she allows him to hover and sit behind her broom.

They are about to fly away from the anthurium when the anthurium hits the ground. It's not violent. Rather, the smacks are gentle and there is an accompanying treble in the anthurium's body.

"Oh fuck," she curses.

She snatches Ayin's hand and allows him to wind his arms around her waist.

"Here we go again," she mutters under her breath. "You better hold tight."

She knows it's about to sing, and so she rushes her magick and goes up. Ayin makes a restrained scream and his arms tighten around her. Hovering above, she wastes no time. She claps her hand together and is ready to activate a massive spell when suddenly, light fills the anthurium.

She scours the area and sees Myrielle going around the anthurium. There are small symbols written on the ground. Each symbol might have taken her half a minute and yet, she's written it all over the beast! She did not even sense her!

"Oh damn," she mutters again. Of course, she will have time to draw and activate it! Her magick is not on the level of a witch!

She is still watching her from above when Myrielle shouts at her. "Fon, protect everyone! Ayin, prepare a sealing object!" she orders.

Her eyebrow raises at that. She is about to complain when she felt Ayin's restoration magick activating. With no other choice, the massive spell she is about to activate transforms into a protective wall of earth between the beast and the audience.