Chapter 37: Captured

Evelyn woke with a start. She sat bolt up right. There was another loud explosion, just on the other side of the tent. She could see fires ragging on the other side of the canvas tent. Kennedy was sitting on her bed visibly shaking and crying. She had no idea where Newt had gone to. Evelyn scrambled off the bed, jamming her feet into her boots as fast as she could. Grabbing her weapons and Kennedy's hand she pulled the girl off the bed. 

"Come on! If we stay here, we'll be burnt to a crisp. Hold tight to my hand and listen to what I say, okay?" She yelled over the wide roar of the fire. 

The girl nodded, her blond curls bouncing. Evelyn had no idea what was going on, why there were explosions and fires in the camp. It was an empty camp, a few members of the Right Arm, Mary and Vince. They were planning on leaving this evening, everything but their tent and a few other stragglers tents were all that was left. What happened in the few hours she had slept? 

Evelyn yanked the flap of the tent open and ducked out into the chaos. She quickly took in the scene around her. Just about every tent was on fire. There was fires everywhere and smoke clouded the air.  There was an abandoned Right Arm Truck sitting in the middle of the clearing. Med in black combat gear were every where. There was a big black helicopter and a berg  sitting on the far side of the camp. There was too much smoke to see properly. Coughing hard, Evelyn pulled Kennedy between two tents that were on fire. Evelyn's eyes were burning, the smoke made breathing difficult , it was a wall of grey. 

Something exploded right behind them sending the two girls flying forwards. Kennedy cried in pain as she hit the ground. Evelyn pushed her self up, shaking her head. The loud explosions around her made her head hurt almost immediately. The creepy crawling feeling started at the base of her skull. 

"No no no. Not now! Not here!" 

Shaking her head violently, she blinked a few times. She got shakily to her feet and grabbed Kennedy's hand and pulled her further away. Trying to get her to the open clearing, they needed to breath proper air, the smoke would suffocate them. Evelyn had to veer sharply to the left, between two other things on fire, it looked like a tree and some supply crates. Evelyn tried to keep her eyes open for anyone, but it seemed quiet in the camp. They had to duck, something exploded, sending debris everywhere. Evelyn tackled Kennedy, covering her as best she could Something sharp sliced her cheek. Scrambling to her feet, she grabbed Kennedy and pushed forwards. 

"GO! Keep going! Into the hills!" Evelyn yelled. 

The girl ran. They broke free from the tents that were engulfed in raging hot fires, there was a yell from her side. 

"FREEZE!" 

"DEAL!" Evelyn screamed, spinning towards to the guy. She had no idea what was going on, but the crank was trying to push through. Her hands were already freezing, and she could feel the anger swirling in her chest. It was white hot freezing tingle. With a savage scream she ran towards the guy dressed in all black, he had some kind of gun raised. It was only a few steps, but he wasn't expecting Evelyn to attack, she slammed her palms into his chest and he dropped; his lips blue, face pale and heart stopped. 

Breathing hard she turned to see that Kennedy made it to the cliff. Evelyn saw someone pop out from the rocks and rubble, and beckon the girl. Kennedy changed directions and sprinting towards the shadow, Evelyn knew they were a Right Arm member. Evelyn was just about to follow when there was a wild yell and  rapid fire shots from the back of the truck she had seen rang out. And then she recognized the voices yelling and screaming from that same direction. 

"NO!" 

She turned directions and sprinted towards the sounds of yelling. Standing in the back of the truck operating the big gun was Sonny. Almost every Glader and Group B girl were standing around with guns, knives, spears whatever they could find. Thankfully she didn't see Chuck, and she knew Kennedy were safe. She didn't see Gally or Alby either. Mary, Vince and Captain Jaz were no where to be seen. It was just her Glader boys and Group B, Brenda and Jorge. Evelyn sprinted towards her family. She had no idea what was going on, but she wasn't going to let them go down on their own.