Chapter 6: The Scorch

Evelyn sat in front of the Gladers confused and exhausted. Her head was sore from trying to figure out what happened and what Janson was up to.

"So...none of you...Newt? Nick? You weren't trapped in a room with past Gonners on chains snapping at you? Minho? Sonny? You weren't tied to a chair with a Griever trying to slice your face off? Tess and Tommy...let me guess you weren't being electrocuted?"

Everyone shook their heads.

"I swear, Love we didn'teave that room!"

Her chin trembled, hot shameful tears slid down her cheeks. "Then I killed those men for nothing! They were innocent and...and I killed them!"

"Innocent? They worked for WICKED! And you said the one killed your mom!" Minho scoffed.

Anger flashed in Evelyn's eyes, her jaw clenched and her hands formed fists.

"We just learnt they shucken lied about everything else! I'm sure Janson can make up another shucken one!" She yelled.

Minho leaned back slightly at her outburst, confusion on his face. Evelyn shook her head grabbing her head with her hands and clamping her eyes shut.

"I'm sorry Min. I'm sorry!" She whispered.

"Nah, it's fine Pix. You got a point."

"But...Minho's also right! They weren't innocent! They work for WICKED and RatMan!" Thomas insisted.

Evelyn groaned, squeezing her head in-between her hands. Newt pulled her hands away and kissed her temple. Despite the heat, Newt pulled her into his chest. The proximity to him helped ease the frustrated tension in her body and the confusion in her mind. His hand went to her hair running his hand through it.

"So...you guys were in the dorm? Found the guys Evy brought back from the dead...and Aris. Then what?" Teresa asked, taking the granola bar from Minho he was passing out.

"Yeah...well that was a right bloody shock, seeing ol' Chucky back from the dead sittin' up all healthy and clean." Newt chuckled.

"I nearly died." Evelyn said quietly.

Newt stopped chuckling and kissed the top of her head. "I didn't mean to poke fun, Love, but we all nearly had a buggen' heart attack seeing him. Same with Jeff."

Evelyn just hummed.

"Yeah..well apparently we weren't the only maze. Aris is from a maze of all girls!" Thomas explained.

"What?" Evelyn asked sitting up.

"Right? Some guys have all the luck!" Minho muttered. "Ouch!" He yelped rubbing his chest, where Teresa just punched him.

"Deserved it, ya slint head!" Teresa snapped.

He chuckled and pulled her closer, and whispered something into her hair and she rolled her eyes but the corners of her lips tugged into a smile.

"Yeah...anyways..." Thomas went on, "Aris was like the Teresa in the group. Except his group didn't have an Evy. Uhh then what?"

"We found out we all have some weird shucked tattoos on our necks!" Nick added.

"Do the girls have?" Frypan asked.

Newt brushed Evelyn's hair away, "yeah, Eve's got one."

"What? A tattoo?"

"Yeah. We all have Property of WICKED, Subject A somethin', and some have a bloody title." Newt explained, "yours Love, says Property of WICKED Subject -

"X. Ya RatMan wouldn't call me by my name it was always A-x."

"Yeah, Subject X, The Healer."

"Oh."