Chapter 30: It Hurts

Evelyn grabbed the comb Amanda gave her and ran it through her hair. Newt did a quick job of covering her infected shoulder with the medical supplies and then wrapped her arm. Newt tugged his shirt on and with a sigh of resignation, they opened the bathroom door, back to the real world.

"...we don't have much choice!"

"We gotta get as far away as possible!"

"I can get you as far as the city limits."

Evelyn looked sadly at Goose.

"You won't come?"

"You won't stay?"

She looked at Newt and gave his hand a squeeze and he nodded in understanding. He kissed her temple and went over to the group by the couch. Which included Minho, who was looking skeptically at the pair and then to Newt, his eyes narrowed. Evelyn turned her attention back to Goose, he had  come over, his arms folded tight, making his muscles stand out.

"Your heart feeling fuller little Kitten?" 

She blushed slightly, making him smirk slightly. He knew. She looked at the floor between them and nodded, "Yes. I'm going to go as far as I can." She looked up and saw his dark blue eyes watching her intently. They were filled with a loneliness and a sadness she understood. "Newt says... to try to hope for a cure at the Right Arm." She paused and shook her head slightly. "There won't be." She whispered bitterly. "But I'll go with them there. Once I know they're safe...and if I'm not completely Gone...I'll find my way back."

He looked sadly at her, then gave her a smile. "You kept the crank inside calm for a few days. Thank you..Evelyn. You gave me an internal piece I desperately needed. Pausing he ran a hand through his dark hair, "Your tattoo is right. You're a healer, Kitten. A Wounded one, sure. But still a healer. You'll always have a place here."

"Thank you Noah. There is no way to repay the kindness you have shown me."

He smiled sadly again. She wrapped her arms around his waist and hugged him. He wrapped her in a tight hug.

"My Feral lost Kitten found her home." He whispered.

She chuckled through her tears. Letting go and pulling away she wiped the tears with her hands. There was activity around the small apartment. Evelyn stood for a moment thinking.

"Hey, that letter I wrote to myself? Where is it?"

Goose shrugged. Evelyn went to the bathroom to see if she could find it. It wasn't there either, frowning and feeling slightly panicked she turned around. Minho was standing, leaning against the wall, a crumpled paper in his hands.

Walking up to him she asked, "can I have that back please. I...I need it."

His eyes slid to her. She could see the anger and resentment, the distrust when his eyes flicked to Goose behind her across the room, but mostly Evelyn saw pain. Minho was her best friend, she knew his words got harsh when he was hurting and trying to deal with his emotions.

"...Minho...please, I need that back. It's ..it's the only thing that helps."

"I can't Evy. I can't do it. I'm going to break that promise." He whispered, his voice catching.

Evelyn paused, trying to remember what he was talking about. And then it clicked. She had asked him to kill her.

"It's okay Minho. I release you from that promise. It wasn't fare of me to ask and I'm sorry. And...I'm sorry for what happened."

"I don't trust him, Pix." His eyes narrowed at Goose again.

"You don't have to. But...trust me. Seriously Minho, you have no idea what I had to do, what it's like. Please...just trust what I did was what I had to do."