Chapter 34: Walking

Evelyn and the group walked. Trudging across the last stretch of the scorch. She had her infected arm cradled close to her chest. It had been shooting pain, even sharper than before. Ever since she cranked back at the shack.

The mountains slowly became jagged peaks of shadow, growing taller and taller as they walked. There were no real foothills to speak of; the flat valley just stretched forward until the ground erupted toward the sky in sheer cliffs and steep slopes. All brown and ugly, lifeless.

Evelyn hoped an obvious path would present itself once they'd made it that far. There was no way she would be able to climb. Her arm wouldn't be able to help. Her hand was sore and her fingers stiff. Trying to pick up her bag she just about dropped it, it was too heavy. She hissed in pain and gasped as the pain shot into her chest. Sonya was right beside her, she caught her bag and  grabbed Evelyn's arm, supporting it. She gave Evelyn a nod and helped switch the bag to the other shoulder without a word.

No one spoke much as they marched along. Newt and Sonya stayed close but quiet. No one talked much. Evelyn was closing in on herself. Everything was awkward between her and everyone. They had seen her crank out a few times now, everyone knew she couldn't stay with them. She felt the glanced and side eyes. She slowled down and walked at the back of the group. Trying to avoid the looks of pity.

She was glad they walked at night, the stars and moon their only guides. Their light was enough, the group didn't need much when the ground was flat and all you had to do was walk toward the looming wall of rock in front of you. The crunch crunch crunch of their footsteps on the earth filled the air.

Newt sped up just enough to walk beside Thomas.

"Been thinkin'," Newt said.

"About what?" Thomas asked, picking his head up, he had also been oddly quiet, head down, focusing on his feet.

"WICKED. Ya know, they broke their own bloody rules with you...and Evy."

Evelyn couldn't help it she strained her ears to listen to the quiet conversation.

"How's that?"

"RatMan...he said there were no rules. Said we had so much time to get to the bloody end an' that was that. No rules. People dying left and right, then they come down in a buggin' monster flying thin' and save you and Evy's arse. Doesn't make sense." He paused. "Not that I'm complaining―I'm glad you guys are bloody alive and all."

"Gee, thanks."

Evelyn knew it was a good point, but she was tired of thinking about it, she had no idea why Janson wanted to keep a crank alive. Thomas...sure he was a healthy immune Candidate...for what ever WICKED was planning. It just made her frustrated and she growled quietly to herself.

"And then there were all those signs in the city. Weird."

Evelyn saw Thomas looked over at Newt. It was too dark to see their facial expressions.

"What, you jealous or something?" he asked.

Newt laughed. "No, ya shank. Just dyin' to know what's really goin' on around here. What this is bloody all about."

"Yeah." Thomas nodded and shrugged. "The lady said only a few of us were good enough to be Candidates. And she did say I was the best Candidate, and they didn't want me dying from something they hadn't planned. But I don't know what it all means. Has something to do with all that klunk about killzone patterns."

They walked on for a minute or so before Newt spoke again. "Not worth bustin' our brains about, I guess. What's gonna happen'll happen."

"Yeah..." Thomas trailed off.