Chapter 35: Up the Mountain

It took a long time for Newt to wake Evelyn up. Her body was exhausted and her stomach was growling like she didn't eat last night. She rolled over and pushed her self to sit with a groan. Evelyn felt awful. The tightness in her chest hadn't gone away.

"Come on Love, eat some food." Newt offered her some food, she ate like she was starving. The food was gone too soon.

Evelyn struggled to her feet and the group set out again. It was slightly easier now that they were passed the big rocks and rubble. Jorge and Jaz lead them up an invisible path. Evelyn kept to herself at the back of the group; keeping her arm tight to her chest and wheezing lungs.

When she would stumble Newt was there to help and throw an arm out to catch her.

She knew she shouldn't be sweating this much, her body was working overtime right now. She just wanted to lay down and sleep. She understood why The Bliss was so popular, if she could have her mind float away, away from the pain, she would take it.

Jorge and Jaz didn't let them sleep too long, a few hours. By her rough calculation it was mid afternoon now.

"Just up here we'll get to the highway! Easier to walk up!" Jorge called down the line of Gladers and Group B.

"We can rest in a few minutes, come Lee." Newt encouraged.

Evelyn didn't say anything, just still struggled up the steep incline. After sliding and throwing her infected arm out to catch herself again she crumpled. Curling into a tight ball, her arm cradled to her chest, trying to keep her tears and gasping quiet. The pure torture of the freezing cold shooting pain through her arm into her chest.

Someone bent down and picked her up. Carrying her the rest of the way up the steep incline. They sat her down on the ground, leaning against one of the big evergreen trees that grew by the side of the road.

The short wheezing in her chest turned into a cough. Yesterday it was dry, and hard to breath. Now it was wet and felt like there was stuff in her lungs.

She caught sight of a huge broad frame. Sonny had carried her.

"Thanks man." Newt clapped Sonny on the shoulder.

Sonny nodded, he looked over his shoulder at Evelyn. She was gasping, and coughing so hard she threw up. She sat up and rested her head rested onto the trunk of the tree, her eyes closed.

"She's getting worse. I thought WICKED gave her a suppressive drug?"

Newt shrugged. They both looked at Jorge who had brought her some water. Newt and Sonny turned and crouched down.

"Jorge...I thought she had been given the suppressive drug again..."

"I don't know Hermanos." Jorge sighed.

He was holding the water bottle trying to help Evelyn drink some water.

"We need to get her to Mary! She'll have a serum that will help."

"You have a strong hope, ma hijo." 

"It's that or I bloody crumble." 

Jorge hummed, helping her drink some more water. Her chest was rising and falling in shallow gasps.

"Just...leave me." Evelyn panted, between her coughing, trying to wave her hand. 

"No. I'm not leaving you Evy. End of bloody discussion." Newt said firmly. 

"Now come on, onto your feet Love." Newt pulled her up, and threw her arm over his shoulder. The rest of the group got up, grabbing their bags. They walked for a while. It was easier now that they were walking along the high way. The road had a steady slop up, winding around the mountain. But the effort or walking uphill was still difficult for Evelyn to catch her breath. After stumbling and sinking to her knees again, making Newt stumble as well with his limp; someone came on Evelyn's other side and helped take Evelyn's weight. Evelyn gasped in pain when he tried to grab her arm.