Chapter 23: Feral Little Kitten

Evelyn walked behind Teresa, suspension on high alert. But there were no more weird shivers. Evelyn was still suspicious. The girls got to the corner of the building. Even before Evelyn peeked around the corner she heard the unmistakable sounds of wild cranks shoving their way out the club door and spilling into the street.

The girls had to flatten themselves against the wall back in the shadows. Evelyn and Teresa quickly glanced at each other. They had to wait until they were gone. Evelyn didn't want to charge into this fight. It sounded like way for then a few, it sounded like half the club was now in the street.

These cranks had more of their minds, they were crazy ruthless and reckless, but they had enough sense still to know what they were doing. She heard shouting and orders being given. Then the wild cheering and bets being taken.

Evelyn slowly let out the breath she was holding. She slowly reached up and slower still, pulled her trusty hatchet from the loop on her back. She gripped it tight on her gloved hand.

Teresa pulled her own knife out. Captain Jaz had given Sonya a knife so Sonya handed back Teresa's. The girls stayed flat against the wall holding their breath and waiting for the scuffle, which had escalated. Evelyn heard the unmistakable sounds of fists hitting bodies, wild screams from the scuffle and manic laughter and cheering from the spectators.

The cheering got louder, the angry screams got more aggressive. Someone or something was shoved hard into the tin garbage cans just around the corner from where the girls had froze. Teresa let out a small cry of surprise. Evelyn cursed under her breath and slapped a hand over her mouth, pushing Teresa further back into the shadows.

"What was that?"

"We got more spectators!"

"A spy!"

"Goose, go check it out!"

"Why me?"

"'Cause I said so dammit! That's why!"

"Who put you in charge?!"

"I did! When I killed Scar! Ya idiot!"

"Only cuz he was asleep! Ya filthy coward!"

"Haha it's true! But he was a wet noodle of a leader! Now go check out that woosy little gasp! I bet even you could take on whoever is spying on us!"

Evelyn turned to Teresa desperately, "Go! Go tell Captain Jaz."

"What about you? Evy I can't leave you with these Cranks!"

"Tes, I AM a crank. I'll be fine. Take my bag and go, go around! Now!"

Evelyn ripped her bag off her shoulder and shoved it into Teresa's arms and shoved her harshly down the alley. Teresa was just swallowed by the shadows when she heard the footsteps behind her. Evelyn spun around her trusty hatchet raised.

"Whoa there!" The guy held his hands out, "easy there Biscuit!"

"The shuck did you call me?"

The name was so weird it made Evelyn hesitate.

"Uhhh Biscuit? Ya know like a cookie?"

"Goose! What the hell's taking so long?"

The guy in front of her was huge. He had short black hair and bright eyes that were a little wild and manic, but he seemed to be mostly sane. The guy was huge; wide as he was tall, with dark veined muscles making his shirt stretch tight.

"Come on Biscuit. Boss wants ta meet ya." He was fast and grabbed her arm, making her hiss in pain. The guy let go immediately.

"Infected arm?"