Chapter 12: The storm

*I couldn't find just the right version. But you get the gist*

The Gladers trudged on. It felt like the town wasn't getting any closer. Luckily, however the sun seemed to gain weight and drop more quickly the closer it got to the horizon. Judging by the watch on Newt's wrist Evelyn estimated it had been a few hours since they left Winston behind, when the sky turned a purplish orange and the intense glare of the sun started to melt away into a more pleasant glow.

"It's pretty, ain't it?" Newt leaned in and whispered. Evelyn ripped her eyes away from the sunset and gave Newt a small smile.

"I want to remember them all." She whispered back.

Newt hummed and squeezed her hand gently. Not long after that, the sun disappeared below the horizon altogether, pulling nighttime and the stars across the sky like a curtain. Without the sweltering suffocating heat, Evelyn enjoyed it. Her head tilted up, watching the twinkling lights in the sky.

"Real stars are beautiful." She whispered, her eyes were wide with wonder. The bright stars reflected in her bright green eyes. "They were never this close or bright or alive!"

"Our loved ones came out to say hi." Newt murmured quietly in her ear.

She looked around at him and smiled sadly .

"Everyone! We sleep here!" Minho suddenly called.

"Good a place as any." Teresa groaned and sank to the ground and flopped down. "Shuck I'm tired."

Everyone groaned and flopped to the ground, most of the guys were already asleep. The Gladers were closer together tonight. Evelyn knelt down beside Chuck and tucked the sheet up around him.

"Goodnight Sleepyhead." She whispered and kissed his sweaty curly hair. She felt a hand squeeze hers.

"Night Mom."

"Sleep tight."

"Hey mom?"

"Ya Bud?"

"Could you sing?"

"Ummm, yeah Buddy." She said hesitantly. She instintly felt the group mood shift. It became still. Everyone was listening. She took a deep breath. Closing her eyes she opened her mouth and words and a toon came out.

"When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires
Will come to you

If your heart is in your dream
No request is too extreme
When you wish upon a star
As dreamers do

Fate is kind
She brings to those who love
The sweet fulfillment of
Their secret longing

Like a bolt out of the blue
Fate steps in and sees you through
When you wish upon a star
Your dreams come true"

She felt the boys around her drift off to sleep. She heard a few sniffles. They had lost a few of their boys now. It had only been a few days in the scorch. Two days for Teresa and Evelyn, and she had lost too many friends.

With the song still rattling around in her head she kissed a sleeping Chuck's temple and went back to Newt. He open his arms and she snuggled in.

"That was beautiful." He whispered.

She hummed and placed her head on his chest, listening to the steady thump of his heart.