Chapter 21: Haunted Tomb

Sonya sprayed water all over the place. Chocking and coughing she wiped her mouth and looked up at Evelyn and then to Teresa. Who nodded with a smile.

"What?" She raised a hand to her forehead.

"Thank WICKED for the memory loss" Evelyn said bitterly.

"Wholly bloody hell!" She whispered to her self.

"Sorry." Evelyn muttered, looking down.

"No no...it's alright. It actually doesn't feel that buggen' strange. Like...I always knew that."

Evelyn smiled, "well you're a copy and past of him. Except your hair is blonder, his is a bit more red. But the same mannerisms and cadence in your voice." 

"Sounds like you two were.. are?...close."

"Those two are shucken soul mates. So Sonya, meet your sister in law." Teresa grined.

Sonya's eyes lit up. But then slipped off and her eyes slid down and landed on Evelyn's infected arm. She hadn't wrapped it back up yet.

"No. I won't make it to the Safehaven." She said so quietly they almost missed it. "Maybe if he knows about you, it'll fill the void he still feels."

________________________

Long after the others went to bed Evelyn stayed up. She had pulled out her journal and wrote a page or two. Leaning her head on the wall beside her she started to sketch a picture of Newt, standing up in the sand hill, his backpack on, his hand up to shield his eyes from the sand and sun.

"Wow. Eve, that's amazing!"

Evelyn jumped. Sonya had somehow managed to come sit beside her without her noticing.

"Is that him? Is that Newt?" She asked, leaning closer.

Evelyn nodded. She pulled out the other leather bound journal she took with her from the Glade. She handed it to Sonya without a word. Sonya took it and opened it, her eyes going wide. Evelyn and Sonya had slowly scootched closer without realizing it the longer they looked at the pictures. Sonya asked all kinds of questions about each picture, each boy, her three years with boys. Sonya shared some of her stories. They had almost parallel stories. The longer Evelyn talked, the more she relaxed and a smile formed on her face. A few giggles even escaped with a few of the stories.

The two had fallen asleep, the notebook on Evelyn's lap. Sonya's head on Evelyn's shoulder and Evelyn's head resting on top of hers. Sonya still had Evelyn's hand loosely held in her hand. Evelyn had added a sister to her family if brothers.

__________________________

Captain Jaz shook them awake. The two girls sat up groaning. Evelyn's back was stiff and sore. Her neck had a huge kink in it. But she felt rested. Sonya had soothed her aching heart.

"Eat quick. We're gonna head for the surface as soon as we can." She informed them. Evelyn nodded.

"Good. It's been way to bloody long without seeing the damn sun."

Evelyn had packed her journals back into her bag. Sonya had helped clean and rewrapped her infected arm last night, but Evelyn was still terrified to touch others. Teresa and Sonya seemed to be the only ones who weren't scared of her. The other girls kept their distance. Harriet was respectful and kind she was very much like Alby; not the touchy feely person, even with the girls in the group. Sonya was the one pulling girls up, handing out hugs, just like her brother.

"Captain Jaz? Are these extras?" Evelyn asked, holding a pair of gloves.

"Yeah, have at 'er."

Evelyn pulled the leather gloves over hands, and threw her bag over her shoulder. She grabbed her hatchet. She spun it a few times, making sure the gloves didn't make the handle slip. Satisfied she slid it through the loop if her bag on her back. She turned and faced Captain Jaz.