Chapter 48 | Better, Faster, Stronger

Anyone who touches her will get torn apart like tearaway cheese

Marching down the dirt pathways- Ullr held his unconscious wife in his arms. They weren't sure how long it'd take for her to wake up from the tranquilizer.

Tigress walked alongside him. She's a werecat like them, but that didn't mean she could treat the land like hers.

Unfortunately, she had to walk around like a guest on the land she grew up on.

"Do you contact Inti in the Tikal temple?" Ullr blurted curiously- wanting an idea of where they were going.

Diego winced at the idea, "No." The Guatemalan man sighed, "It's a beautiful ruin that isn't necessarily a part of our werecat culture." He adjusted the jewelry around his wrists. The king was leading them ahead.

"But a few of my pride members have started to protect it from tourists." Diego explained, "We only touch it if it means dragging a nosy foreigner off it."

Ullr hummed in thought. The mere thought was irritating- he even saw himself protecting the temple if he were in their position. The Werebear village has had its own groups of selfish tourists touching things they shouldn't.

The Canadian held his wife closer- his jaw clenching.

Once, he came across a group of tourists venturing into their sacred cave. They attempted to steal ornamental offerings, ending with Baldur pleading for his mercy. 

"I understand the frustration." He muttered.

Tigress nodded in agreement, "Nothing is more infuriating than tourists." She'd say, "No matter the-"

A loud thump broke everyone's train of thought. Tigress hit the ground- the air leaving her lungs in a sharp gasp.

The incredibly foul smell of a rogue wavered into their lungs. Ullr began to cough- nose scrunched up. That smell was as memorable as Selene's.

He lept away from the rolling brawl on the ground- his arms busied with his unconscious mate.

A rotting Lycan wrestled with Tigress. The front of his muzzle was nothing but bone and thin flesh- his eyes glazed over with white due to their disintegrating state. Dirt was stuck in whatever crevices he had left.

Argus clearly made short time of the earth prison he was thrown into. His stomach was left open- intestines slightly dangling. Someone did a number to him.

A werecat threw herself into Argus- getting him off her were-sister. No matter the blood- a were under the same goddess is a sister for life.

The shrill gasp in his arms made Ullr snap his head down. 

Her bright white eyes were slightly hooded due to exhaustion- but her stuck gaze on Argus made it clear she knew what was happening. Her hands gripped his shirt.

The small distraction was used to his advantage. Argus skirted around a werecat and slammed into Ullr- making him drop Selene on the dirty ground. She rolled before scampering onto her feet.

Wasting no time- the god shoved Argus back and initiated a fight.

Elongated claws ripped through the Lycan's fur- but it was met with bites and snarls. Compared to their last encounter- Argus was noticeably stronger.

He was actually putting up a fight.

Argus didn't respond to any pain- only screaming in utter rage. He showed no signs of stopping.

 He showed no signs of stopping

What's going on?

Selene hasn't been awake for 5 minutes but has been immediately thrown into the chaos.

It was hard to get her bearings- but it didn't take a genius to notice her husband struggling to keep the zombie lycan distracted. He couldn't tear him apart like before.

"S-Shit..." She muttered, stumbling backward. She wasn't one to swear- but the situation called for it.

Argus cackled evilly, throwing his head back and shaking with amusement. Ullr slammed his foot into the Lycan's knee- watching him tumble to the ground before sealing his maws around the god's ankle.

A hand wrapped around Selene's wrist.

She snapped her head to the side- noticing a man she didn't recognize. He was slightly taller and covered in extravagant jewelry.

"He can take care of himself." The stranger commented, "Quick- let us contact Inti before things go further awry."

Can she trust this random man? She just woke up!

"Go!" Tigress' Spanish voice rang out.

The werecat had attached herself to Argus' back- clawing and yanking at his fur to slam him into trees. Ullr stood as the only person who could fend the werewolf off.

"Quickly, Selene! You can trust him- he's the King!" She added.

Seeing as shit was going down- she'd have to trust Tigress blindly. Selene needed to get far away from this maniac.

She didn't know what being a King meant in werecat terms- but it was a high-sounding title.

Nodding at the King- he let go of her arm, and the two bolted down the pathway. Surrounding werecats kept the zombies distracted as they fled the scene.

The jungle felt endless- as if the same trees were passing by. She had gotten so used to pine trees that this place felt like an entirely different world. No snow, no pine needles, no chilling breeze.

Up ahead, Selene noticed a platform made of smoothed-over rocks. The slated stairs were wobbly and heavily used.

Please- she just wanted to end this hell.