Chapter 34 | Beg for Mercy

It didn't take long for two people in the crowd to speed over

Falling to their knees were Vor and Aun, resting their foreheads on the ground in front of their god.

"Please, Ullr! I plead for mercy." She'd say, voice slightly trembling. "I believed she was lying about her condition and aiding the man attempting to steal the children."

Selene covered her mouth in shock. He was trying to kidnap the kids? 

Ullr strides toward her. She whipped her head over, watching her husband begin to pant in rage. His muscles were tensed up, veins bulging. Hurriedly- Selene would rush over to him and grasp his bicep.

"Please." She'd whisper, "Be... Be merciful." Selene told him.

Those two really hurt her and made her fearful- but Selene was known for her kindness and benevolence.

His eyes softened at the sight of his pleading wife. Glancing down at Vor, they sharpened into a harsh glare. Ullr finished his stride, letting his wife's hands drift off him.

"You're lucky she's so kind." He spat, reaching down and grabbing Vor by the head. He'd yank her to her feet, making her stumble.

Baldur, Hodur, and Aun stayed on their knees.

Vor trembled under the god's sheer glare. "I hereby demote you of your Ek title." He hissed, "Someone as unworthy as you does not deserve such honor."

The crowd shared looks of shock, holding back their gasps. They can only hope his rage won't spread to them.

The woman simply nodded curtly, "Thank you for your mercy, Ullr!" She'd say loudly like a soldier.

"Thank Selene." He'd spat in her face, "Kiss her feet."

Vor bolted into action, dropping to her knees and crawling up to the goddess. "No, no!" Selene flailed, stepping back rapidly, "I don't want that! Y- You don't have to do that!"

This is what stopped the demoted Ek, who instead kept bowing before her gods.

Ullr planted his foot on her back, forcing her to meet the ground. Grunting, the mountain of a man walked away from her and approached the Fjǫrðr. Dangerous cerulean eyes seared holes into the bowing man, strutting up to him purposefully.
The muscular, cloaked man swung his foot into the side of Aun's torso. He flung to the side, rolling onto his stomach and coughing loudly. Members in the crowd grimaced as Ullr continued his stride up to him.

"You think you're tough shit, don't you, Fjǫrðr?" His deep, nordic-esque voice sounded.

Aun coughed, "No, sir." 

Ullr bent down, picking him up by the collar of his sweater. The man slightly squirmed, hanging from the air due to how large the god was.

"You think apologizing to her afterward makes everything good?" He hissed, "After you hurt her?"

Selene's eyebrows raised. Did he hear that? She thought he was out of absolute control at the time.

"N-No-" The man gasped for air, "-Sir.."

Ullr threw Aun to the ground, rolling his shoulders. He appeared a little satisfied.

"Public humiliation is your punishment." Ullr finished. Selene felt herself release a breath of relief, clasping her hands.

The Fjǫrðr rubbed his neck- coughing. "T-Thank you..." He breathed, "For your mercy."

Ullr took a deep breath, flexing his jaw and closing his eyes.

"BALDUR." He'd abruptly howl.

The Aðal bolted up to him, skidding to a halt on his knees. "Yes!" He'd bow, immediately reporting for duty. 

"Why the fuck weren't you protecting her?" Ullr stomped up to him, his strut confident and powerful. "While your own Ek was hurting, kidnapping, and invading her own room?" The man crouched down to Baldur's level, his chest falling and raising quickly in anger.
Baldur slowly raised his head. He was the only person able to look Ullr in the eye, though not without fear. ".. I- I can't predict what Vor will do behind my back." He quietly defended himself, "I trusted her to be faithful- and I was wrong."

Selene couldn't believe it. This entire time- Baldur knew who Ullr was while cloaked. Most importantly, though, he knew who Selene was. Why didn't he tell her?

For now, she'd have to trust Ullr told him not to. He must've done it for a reason.

Ullr scoffed, standing back up. "You're lucky you're Aðal." The god spat, "I don't go back on my decisions." 

Turning, his cloak waving in the wind, the giant of a man would quickly stride toward Selene. 

He took her hand.

"We're leaving."