Chapter 46 | The Werecat's Mistake

Fuck

Fuck.

His fingers twitched as Ullr glanced down at himself.

All he saw was his massive, skinny, white-bellied body. His abnormally lengthy fingers were blackened as dark as vantablack.

Blood was splattered against his chest and forearms. He wouldn't be surprised if he's killed people.

Ullr didn't even remember shifting into an Akhlut.

Looking up, the naked woman standing there with his wife as, of course, Tigress. That explains why he didn't go batshit crazy.

They stood in the middle of a werecat village. Huts were built around a large pathway and dirt plaza- numerous platforms attached to large jungle trees with ropes or ladders leading to treehouses. Nervous children were littered across the structures.

In the middle of the plaza was wood, marbled to prevent splinters, where he assumed dances and gatherings were held.

"¡Es un dios!" The werecat yowled.
[He is a god!]

Werecats surrounded him- some of them injured and others in horror. There was a mix of humanoid and shifted individuals. 

They gazed at him as if he was a monster. Ullr felt no shame for who he was, in fact, their fear only fueled him. He felt pride in his strength.

He was this close to going back to tearing them apart.

"¡Atacarle sólo hará que os mate a todos!" Tigress yelled, keeping Selene close as she observed everyone around her. "¡Es el dios de la caza! ¡El dios de la caza nunca falla en una cacería!"
[Attacking him will only get you all killed!] - [He's the god of the hunt! The god of the hunt never fails on a hunt!]

Ullr didn't understand Spanish, but he trusted she was explaining the situation. She knows better than to betray a god.

A tall man, wearing far more jewelry and tattoos than the others, came out of the crowd. "Entonces debe irse. No tenemos intención de empezar una guerra." His voice rumbled.
[Then you must leave. We have no intention of starting a war.]

The moment he spoke- werecats leaned their ears in his direction. He was clearly an important figure.

Tigress gritted her teeth. Ullr prepared for her to make a snarky comment. 

"Él no habla español." She shifted uncomfortably.
[He does not speak Spanish.]

No snarky comment? Strange.

The jeweled man huffed, "You must go." The man repeated in heavily accented English. "We do not want war. Please leave our land."

Ullr rumbled- his growl making werecats tremble and bow in fear.

Raising a long finger, he pointed at his unconscious wife.

"We keep her." The man said.

Tigress intercepted before Ullr lost his shit. "No, she is his wife." The woman clarified, "She is why he was driven to rage."

Members of the crowd looked at each other with uncertainty. It was hard to view Ullr as a monster when he was driven to rage appropriately. Hurt his wife? You get it twice as hard. The Akhlut lumbered toward Selene.

Shifted werecats' back hairs stuck up, and their lips upturned to hiss threateningly at the beast.

You'd have to be an Eldritch god to scare Ullr.

"We... We believe she is Selene." The jeweled man clarified, "Who is hated by our goddess."

He gently picked up Selene from Tigress's arms, cradling her adoringly. Her white eyelashes were fluttered shut- plush lips looking sweet and kissable. Ullr cooed at her, adjusting her tank top to be more comfortable.

"You're right," Tigress confirmed.

Gasps spread throughout the crowd, some whispering in Spanish to translate for the people who didn't understand English.

"We... we came here to talk." Tigress was going full lobbyist right now. "Please, let's communicate humanely. Ullr doesn't want to kill anyone- he just wants to protect his mate."

The tall man flexed his jaw in thought- fists clenching and unclenching.

"Only if the man shifts into human form." He bargained.

The friendly werecat looked up at the Akhlut with pleading eyes. She knew it was up to him- his wife was the only one who could get Ullr to do things. Who is... currently unconscious.

Ullr looked back down at his sleeping wife.

She would want that- right? Selene was always the innocent and kind type, which is why she became a goddess in the first place.

The god released a breath and closed his dark eyes.

Ullr nodded.

Let's hope he didn't regret this.

--(CHAPTER WAS UPDATED TO REMOVE WENDIGO CHARACTERISTICS AND MENTIONS. I WAS TOLD THAT IT'S DISRESPECTFUL TO USE, SEEING AS IT'S FROM NATIVE AMERICAN CULTURE. INSTEAD, I HAVE USED AN AKHLUT-LIKE ANIMAL FROM MY OWN CULTURE.)--

)--