Chapter 37 | The Unrelenting Foe

Bending over, she'd pick up another stick at the bottom of a pine tree

Selene and her husband had set up camp for the night. However, Ullr did the majority of the work.

So far, the only thing she convinced him to let her do was gather kindling for a fire. 

During their trip, memories of their relationship slowly returned to her. He treated her like a princess, which meant he'd throw a tantrum about her trying to lift a finger. It was very sweet, but she didn't like feeling useless.

Walking back, she'd watch him skin a rabbit. He caught it with his own bare hands. It was a bit gross, but she had no idea that his providing for her would be so attractive.

"Should I cut off the bark?" Selene asked as soon as she stopped in front of the empty fire pit.

Ullr whipped his head up, "No." He said immediately.

She pouted her bottom lip, "Please? I want to help."

"You've done a lot of help, doll." He hummed, gutting the rabbit in front of him. "I don't want you to cut yourself on a knife accidentally."

She set the sticks in the empty fire before putting her hands on her hips, "I'm not glass!" She argued.

"I don't like taking risks." That was all he responded with no room for argument.

Selene sighed. He's been uptight for a while, and she could only assume her curse made him nervous. He constantly talks about her being weaker than normal, but she doesn't know what to go off of. Was she immune to the cold before? Could she walk forever? She didn't know.
Ullr was lucky he was handsome, or else she'd be a little angry. She watched him discard the pelt and innards, now preparing different sections of raw meat on a metal plate. A man who hunts and provides has to be the most attractive man on the planet.

She wiped her dirty hands on her pants. The moment she looked up, though, Ullr was inches away.

He wrapped his arms around her. She melted in his embrace, but his heavy breathing worried her.

A bush ruffled nearby, disturbingly so.

Shifting, she looked at the disturbance. Appearing from the bushes was a tall, lean creature. It resembled a lycan with patchy fur, scars, and burns creating rifts in his once beautiful fur.

Selene couldn't help but notice two holes on his collarbone and shoulder- nasty scars painting his skin.

"It's... It's him." She whispered, clutching onto her husband's shirt. Ullr snarled, exposing his teeth, "He fucking reeks."

The lycan lumbered further, stopping after a few steps. "Wretched Goddess." He hissed through gnarly, yellow teeth. Pieces of it were broken or completely lost. "Not only have you cursed me with solitude, but you've stolen my love."

Selene pushed herself out of Ullr's grasp, but he stayed close.

"I know you." She'd softly say, clasping her hands. "You're... You're Argus Lycoris."

His identity was fuzzy to her, but she knew he was acting based on selfish vengeance. 

The morbid lycan tensed, his large hands tightening. Argus' murky green eyes seared holes into Selene's soul. "What else do you remember?" His gravely, uneven voice rumbled.

Selene opened her lips, but Ullr interrupted her. "Everything."

Argus was clearly enraged by this, but he began to laugh crazily. "Memory restored or not, you're still a FUCKING MORTAL!" Argus roared with laughter, hunching over. He'd spit out a loose tooth, "The curse has worked PERFECTLY! WITHOUT LUNA- YOU'RE JUST A WEAK LITTLE WHORE."

Ullr scoffed, "Dumb fuck." He'd say, "I lied. She remembers nothing."

Argus flew into a rage, flying at Ullr with aggressive hands. He grabbed the Lycan, digging his growing claws into his skin and throwing him to the ground.

Argus howled, flying forward to bite, but Ullr grabbed his gaping jaws with his bare hands. 

"Disgusting fuck." Her husband spat, starting to pull his jaws apart.

The lycan squirmed, clawing Ullr and digging his claws into his flesh- but that didn't stop him. Ullr pulled until there was a loud snap and ripping.

Argus' head was split in two, large tongue flailing wildly and eyes going backward.

The morbid Lycan fell to the ground.

With bloody hands and tears in his clothes, Ullr panted heavily. His shoulders rose and fell with every breath, fingers twitching as he gazed down at his kill. Her husband was powerful- and that enough was evident.

He turned,

"We're packing up and leaving."

No arguments there.