Meeting the Parents - Chapter 14

Merry walked up to Alora and her father, his heart in his mouth. 

"I saw Tilia earlier, s-she told me it was your mothers birthday. I figured you must visit her at some point today, so I was going to wait for you." He rubbed the back of his neck, casting an awkward glance at Alora's father. He was looking at him with a blank expression, every do often he'd look down at his daughter. Alora felt her cheeks begin to burn, as she smiled up at Merry. 

"That's S-sweet of you" She stammered. Alora's father coughed slightly, raising his eyebrows at his daughter. "Oh, erm, Merry. This is my father," She said quietly. Her father stuck out his hand, and shook Merry's hand heartily. A broad smile grew across Merry's nervous face, as he looked into the stocky hobbits faded, green eyes.

"Gaellyn" Her father said, introducing himself with a friendly grin. Merry nodded slightly, "Nice to meet you Mr Headstrong!" he said happily. 

Alora gazed up at her father. The grief stricken man she had seen a few moments before had now become nothing more than a memory. He was now smiling and having a small joke with Merry. Alora smiled at them both, thinking life was getting better. 

"You fancy coming for a drink with us, at the cafe near the waters edge?" Alora asked Merry, who was talking to her father about the maps he'd been studying. 

Merry looked from Alora, to her father and then smiled, "If it's okay with you?" he asked her father. Gaellyn accepted warmly and quickly lead Merry and Alora up onto the path and into Bywater. 

The streets were quite empty, considering it was a Sunday. The market was usually filled with people, but Alora wasn't complaining. She liked it that way. The odd hobbit was seen wandering down the path, before waving at them cheerily. After carrying down the path for a few more minutes, the three of them looked upon the small riverside cafe, painted in a light indigo colour. Alora's father pushed open the wooden door, revealing neatly decorated tables, some with hobbits sat around them. He smiled happily down at them, before pulling out a seat around one with four chairs. Alora sat down on the opposite side, shortly followed by Merry.

"Tea?" Gaellyn asked. Alora nodded happily, but Merry held up his hand.

"Nah, you're alright. Could I have a glass of apple juice?" he asked politely. Alora's father gave him a funny look, before smiling and heading over to the counter.

"What's up? don't you like tea?" Alora asked in shock. Merry began to laugh quietly, looking across at her deep blue eyes. 

"I have a feeling I'm becoming slightly addicted to the stuff, So I thought I'd give myself a break!" he said happily. Alora chuckled lightly and looked up as her father placed down two mugs and a glass on the table. She took the mug, and blew gently on it before taking a small sip.

"Well I am addicted, and proud" she said smugly, taking in a deep breath. Merry raised a golden eyebrow at her, before reaching out for his glass. 

Alora, Merry and her father began to talk about the most random subjects. They ranged from books and maps, to the adventures Merry had been on years before. He told them of how Ra went on to save middle earth from dragons, how Sam had saved the only hope they had left, and how he and Pippin swore to protect the might Etani. Alora's father was unsure of his stories, but Alora herself was dragged in. She asked him questions and listened intently, stopping every so often to sip her tea. 

"I didn't realise you'd done stuff like that!" she exclaimed, a wide smile on her face. Merry began to blush, looking across at her eyes, his equally wide.

Alora's father had been watching them for a while, looking at how they were with each other. It made him smile. Merry, the boy who had bought his daughter home so many years ago, had now grown into quite a smart and charming lad. The way he spoke to his daughter is what won him over though. He treated his daughter with respect, he didn't interrupt her, and he didn't have a habit of snapping back at her if she made her usual sarcastic comments. Now that he thought about it, Alora's father even saw the connection between them. Feeling he was no longer needed, her father stood up.