Blossom

Lizzie's POV

It's about 9pm, and I'm overjoyed that I managed to get some food into Margo. We were able to make some small talk over dinner, and I could tell she was becoming more comfortable around me. She strayed away from her usual 'yes' or 'no' responses, and found a way to loosen herself up, allowing for more detailed answers.

It was like the more she spoke, the more I seemed to fall in love with the sound of her voice. And no, not in a strange, romantic way. I mean in the way a mother watches her child grow into a beautiful human being, spreading the light that you knew was inside of them the entire time.

I was proud of Margo.. Proud of my daughter, even if she couldn't see it that way yet.

"Have you ever climbed a tree?" Margo's soft voice pulled me from my thoughts, and I turned away from the kitchen sink to find her staring out the window beside the table.

I resumed washing the last dish with a small smile on my face at her feeling comfortable enough to facilitate a conversation with me.

"Yes, I have, actually," I turned around to meet her widened eyes, her jaw hanging slightly ajar in shock. I let out a small giggle. "My sisters and I used to have a treehouse that we'd play in when were younger. We loved playing in the woods. How about you? Have you climbed a tree?"

She slowly shook her, turning back to the window where she scanned the trees in awe.

"I was never really allowed to go outside," she recalled, and a wave of sadness washed over my face, but luckily, she was still looking out the window. "I wasn't allowed to do much of anything," she mumbled quieter.

I watched her look longingly into the woods for a few seconds while I composed myself. I hated the people that had put her through all of that abuse. Her childhood had been tainted and nearly ruined, she missed out on far too many of the joys that the world had to offer. I wanted nothing more than to give it all back.

"Well, I'll tell you what," I started, earning her attention as I stepped toward the girl, resting my hands on her shoulders. "Once your ribs and all your other injuries are healed, we can go climb the trees together. Heck, we can even make your own treehouse."

I smiled creeped to my lips as I watched her eyes light up, reminding me of the spark of light that was still left inside of her.

"Really?! We can do it now! My rib-" she jumped from her seat in excitement, but immediately doubled over, holding her side and I quickly grabbed her upper arms to prevent her from falling.

"Slow down, sweetheart," I advised gently. "Let's give you a little bit more time to heal, and I promise, once you're feeling better, we'll go outside, okay?"

She slowly nodded her head, her face still scrunched into a grimace as she carefully stood up straight. I tilted my head, my expression softening even further when I met her shame filled gaze.

"Are you okay, sweetie?"

There was still hesitation in her willingness to show her pain, almost like she feared punishment for doing so. She only nodded in response, dropping her eyes to the floor, but I was swift to plant two fingers under her chin, lifting her face to mine.

"It's okay, hunny.. You can be honest with me, you're not in trouble. I just want to make sure you're okay."

"I'm f-fine." She was stubborn, although I still saw a spark of hope, as her eyes remained truthful.

"Okay," I settled with a sad smile. "How about we get changed and ready for bed, yeah?"

I watched a flicker of fear wash over her expression, but quickly dissipated, and before I could acknowledge it, she was already limping toward her room.