Chapter 4

"Well take your seats, class." Ms. Destiny prompted her class by clapping hands.

"We have a new student today! Please welcome, Stacey!" she beamed, basically shining-no-BLARING a spotlight- on Stacey.

Judging by the way the kids were looking at her, half looked like they wanted to be her friend. And the rest ... she couldn't describe.

It wasn't new. Getting stared at, Stacey means. Everybody hated her at her old school. Except for her friend Paisley.

Her old school! Her old ... kidnappers? Were they looking for Stacey?! Oh no, no, no, was her first thought. She had to call her mom-

"So tell us a little about yourself, Stacey." Ms. Destiny asked, still smiling.

"Hi. Um, so, my name's Stacey." Wow, great start. "And I just moved in with ..."

Stacey trailed off, realizing how weird it would be to say she just moved in with HER family.

Her teacher's face crumpled. "You moved in with...?"

"My brother! He just came back from um Europe! High school field trip." She tried to act casual on the last part and even threw in a shrug.

Ms. Destiny still looked confused, but her face brightened again. "Okay well, we're very glad to have you. Class we're gonna get started with..."

Stacey was sure Ms. Destiny was still talking and giving the whole class an earful on what to do, but she was only half-listening.

Hours later, the 8th period bell rang, and Stacey was outta there. Practically sprinting to her locker. She only had homework for Homeroom, which was ELA, but she couldn't remember what it was.

"Number 287..." Stacey mumbled to herself, looking for her locker. Then she saw it. 287. She opened up the locker and it was bland and empty. Luckily, her mom had bought locker decor and stuff a long time ago for no absolute reason and found them in the attic for Stacey.

Putting in this cute wooden looking woven shelf, light for the top, a pen holder on the door with little fake succulents and a whiteboard and markers was fun. She finished up and lastly put her backpack on top of the shelf and hung it to a hook.

Stacey took a breath as she took in the locker's decor. It was beautiful. "Oh well, I guess this is the best I can do." She told herself, laughing softly. 

She shut the locker only to be startled to by a blond teenage boy leaning against the locker next hers, facing her and smirking.

"So, your the new girl huh?" He asked.

"Yeah," Stacey said cautiously. Then she casually shrugged. "What's it to you?" 

He smirked again. "I'm Asher. Asher Brooks. Something wrong with wanting to say hi to the new girl?" Asher asked, now leaning with his back against the wall.

Asher was actually really cute...his eyes were the palest blue and his hair was hanging onto his forehead curving up. Fluffed. 

"So, do you know what you need to study today? Homework is normally due 2 days after-no exceptions." He asked.

Stacey's face burned. "I um...didn't hear her." Asher laughed.

"It's okay. School isn't that important anyway. The homework is just to read chapters 1-6 of 'Where the Red Fern Grows'." He told her, running a hand through his hair.

"Y'know, you never mentioned your name." He reminded Stacey.

"Oh it's Stacey. Stacey Alexander." Stacey told him, a little embarrassed.

"Hmm, okay Stacey. Do you play any sports? Are you trying out for any at this school?" Asher asked.

"Actually yeah. I play Volleyball, and I also played for my old school." She took a quick peek at her phone's camera to flick an eyelash that had fallen near her spring green eyes.

"That's cool. I mean- Volleyball's cool." He quickly added. "I play football. Wide Receiver on offense and Linebacker on defense." Asher told Stacey.

"Cool...so when are tryouts-" Before Stacey could finish asking him the question the bell for dismissal rang and Stacey quickly flung her backpack over her shoulder and ran outside to the car pick-up loop.

Dylan had said that he would be picking her up. "See ya around." Asher called after her, smiling.

He was really sweet. And Stacey was actually a little excited about going to school.

NOT because she started liking school. School still sucks. Always will.

But Asher was really nice. And ... cute. She couldn't wait to hang out with Asher. If he even wanted to hang out with her.

He seemed also liked the kind of guy who likes to tease people on the little fun things. Not in a bad way though. Stacey wasn't also sure she actually-

"STACEY! Hello, EARTH TO STACEY?!" Stacey snapped out of her daze to find Dylan's top half Dylan waving his hand in the air, standing out of the car's roof.

"Sorry!" she apologized, jogging over to the car. Putting her backpack under the dashboard in the shotgun, she slid into the seat and took a breath.

As Dylan started the car he asked "So how was your first day?" She should've said good but instead she said,

"It was fine. Normal." It just came out. Like a train with no brakes. He looked at Stacey a little baffled.

"Great...so ready to meet your dad?" He asked, drumming his fingers on the wheel. 

Yeah ... she was.