Chapter 6

It takes a while to settle in.

The world is huge, and just because people say to "adapt" doesn't mean it's super easy and quick. It took Stacey a while, more specifically 3 months.

She bonded more with her family, and meeting her dad went amazing. She made more friends and school and got closer to Asher. They were friends. Stacey didn't like him, only as a friend.

Moving on, she was doing great at school too. Dylan helped out with her homework, so it was easier. Volleyball tryouts were coming up though, and that was scary, and good at the same time.

But the most importantly, Stacey could control her powers so much better now. She could do so many things. But her only question, (Okay that's a lie, one of her a million questions) why couldn't she feel the power in her old life?

Okay, okay, let's stop being boring with the reviewing and get to the present, shall we?

Stacey was sitting on the beach alone. It was a sunny afternoon and she was laying on her beach chair and reading "The Mark of Athena" by Rick Riordan and listening to the album "1989" by Taylor Swift on her AirPods.

Dylan, her brother, had offered to watch "Stranger Things" with her, since she had never watched it. 

But right now, a good Rick Riordan novel sounded amazing. And reading it on the beach outside their house sounded even better. So she did that. 

The wind blew her hair into her face, which was annoying, but worth it. She saw someone she recognized jogging on the beach.

"Asher!" she called out to him. He turned his head, startled. It quickly morphed into a bright smile though.

He came over to Stacey and Stacey stood up from her beach chair. She hugged Asher. He hugged her back and she noticed that his hand was...red?

Pulling away, she took his hand "Hey, is your hand okay? Why is it red..?" 

Even though his hands were red, his face went pale. "Oh I'm fine. I just, burned my hand making breakfast." It didn't look like that, but Stacey waved that thought off. He wouldn't lie to her. Why would he anyway?

Looking around, Asher asked "Do you live nearby?" 

"Oh yeah I actually live in the beachfront house." She pointed to a white mansion like house.

Asher laughed "Oh wow. Your pretty rich." Stacey blushed.

"My parents are I guess. So do you live close." 

He pointed far off in the distance in line with the beachfront houseline. "Wayyy out in the distance. I was just jogging on the beach. What're you doing, Stace?" 

"Oh, just reading." she picked up the novel. "I'm kind of a bookworm." 

Asher laughed, "So, you didn't come out to see me?" he smirked.

Stacey glared at him, blush rising from her face "No!" 

He raised an eyebrow playfully. "Sure. Wanna race?" Stacey nodded.

Asher walked over to the shore side while she tied her hair up into a messy bun, her curtain bangs falling in her face. She tried to blow it out of her face, but the attempt just made Asher laugh.

"Right here," he drew a thin line across the sand with his sneaker. Bracing at the start, Stacey joined him.

"3...,"

"2...,"

"1...," Stacey glanced at Asher and took of running.

"HEY, not fair!" He teased. Stacey laughed, glancing back to look at Asher, but she didn't see him. Stopping in her tracks, she looked around.