Chapter 13

Stacey shut the glass door to her training room in the apartment's secret basement. Catherine was her trainer so she sat in the chair behind a desk in the far corner which has a little glass room in case her power goes out of control.

Catherine stepped out of her little glass area to start training. She smiled, which made Stacey a little less nervous. "Stacey, you have nothing to be nervous about. Trust me, I was scared the first time I had trained but it was fun."

Stacey nodded and she continued. "Alright. The first thing I want you to do, pretty simple, after I get back into my little space, I want you to make a large amount of water, and put into that bucket," she pointed to a huge bucket, big enough to fit Stacey herself into it. "And just wait for my next instructions."

Catherine ran over to her glass space and gave Stacey the signal to start. She took a deep breath and she had learned that she needs to think of the things and people that calm her down and make her happy.

She held out her right palm flat and put her left index and middle fingers on her temples. Closing her eyes, Stacey thought through the things that made her happy.

Hanging out with her friends. All of them sitting together, anywhere, laughing. It made her smile. Spending time with her family, Dylan being the greatest big brother in the world. That made her feel warm and fuzzy inside-and NOT the kind that you get from eating expired food.

By the time she opened her eyes there was a huge bubble of water and Catherine's eyes were wide. 

"Good Job!" Catherine's voice was muffled through the glass, but Stacey was still able to make out the words. "Now, be careful and lead it to the bucket. Hold your focus." 

Stacey carefully took it one step at a time, until she was only a few feet away from the bathtub-sized bucket and let it go forward and drop GENTLY.

She heard muffled clapping. "Okay, now. I want you to tell me something," She said, sitting back down with a notepad and a pen in her hands. "What did you have to think of to make that appear?"

Stacey felt a little embarrassed to admit it because what if Catherine thought it was stupid and it was supposed to come automatically? "I was thinking of the people and things that make me happy." Catherine smiled which gave Stacey hope that she said the right answer.

"Hold on to that, Stacey," she said, tapping her pen on the notepad. "That's what gets you through. Trust me...having this power is hard sometimes. Holding on what makes you happy keeps you going. It worked for me and it still helps even though you have the power in your hands now. Literally."

Stacey felt like this was supposed to be a tear-jerking moment. It probably was since her heart felt lighter and her eyes were a little blurry. 

"Okay now, take the water and I'll give you a few words and phrases and I want you to manipulate the water to make those letters, okay?" Catherine directed, walking back to her glass room.

Stacey nodded, her eyes heaving open and closed out of concentration.

"The first one is, 'I can do this'" Catherine said.

She closed her eyes and imagined how it would look as a bubble letter phrase out of water. Then, she opened her eyes and moved the body of water into that phrase and it worked. Catherine clapped lightly.

"The next one is, 'I am the elemental master of water'. This one is a bit harder but I think you can do it and after we do this, we'll wrap up with an easy one and do some different training." Catherine told her.

Stacey did the same thing as before, keeping the 'I' from before. It was definitely longer, but using the same strategy as before, she did it.

Catherine clapped again, her voice muffled as she said: