Chapter 16

"The water! The weight, I can't hold it! Help!" Stacey's screaming was muffled. There was something off about this. Nobody came to her rescue. Nobody was around, not a voice to be heard. The water from the festival had already dried up and the sun was blazing.

She toppled off the pedestal she was standing on and tried to scream but her mouth felt like somebody had smeared gorilla glue all on her latest meal. Don't ask how she knew that.

Her limbs out of her control, her hair rapidly smacking her face. She could finally scream but it sounded far-off.

Stacey woke up in a cold sweat, still screaming. So that's where the noise came from. Without thinking, she snatched her phone from the nightstand and ripped the charger out, typing her password.

Her password was 'PoseidonChild73' She had taken the quiz online a few years ago and had always been obsessed with Greek mythology since.

She scrolled through her messages and found Asher's contact. She clicked on it and sent him a text, not thinking at all. She was too scared to even remember how to spell.

Hey Asher I know it's like 3:00 am or something, but can u come up to my room? I had a nightmare and company would help a lot.

Read 3:09 am

He replied about 3 minutes later.

Sure. I'll be right there Stace 😅

Read 3:11 am

Stacey heard her apartment door opening even from her bedroom. She had opened the door with the app on her phone.

"Stace?" He opened the bedroom door a little, his fingers over his eyes. "Are you decent?"

She laughed shakily and said "Yeah. You can come in."

Asher smiled, uncovering his ocean blue eyes. He walked over after switching on the light and sat on her bed.

Stacey pulled off her pure white covers and threw them to the side unsuccessfully. They landed on Asher's head and she had to hold back her laughter. She could imagine his glare under the covers.

He picked the covers off with his hand and threw them to his side.

"Is this why you called me?" He asked, barely containing his laughter.

They both couldn't stand it anymore and started cracking up. Stacey wiped the tears coming out of her eyes.

"Sadly no." She looked down. "Have you had any nightmares yet? About them? Ever since last month when they told us what we had to do, hold the weight- I haven't been able to sleep well."

Asher nodded his head. "I get them too. It's not easy." Stacey nodded.

"Look, I'm not the best at pep talks, or any talks, if I'm being honest, but I deal with them by reminding myself that I still have my mom, Charlotte, and you and of course the guys. Carole too, even though she can be annoying at times, I've known her for a while now. She's been through so much." He drags a hand through his bedhead hair.

"It just feels so real," He continues. "But I know that you guys would be there, if I fell. At least I hope so."

She took his hand, feeling him flinch. "We would be there. I would." He looks back and smiles but it looks like it hurts.

"I would actually rather you guys not. I don't want another person that I. . .I'm close to getting hurt." Asher looks away.

Stacey could see the sadness washing over his eyes as he said that. She starts to cry. "It just feels so real. It's going to happen, in like a month, I have to take a boat to meet my end."