~Chapter 9~

"Ok Mikey, let's go get something to eat, instead of sitting out in the cold." His eyes lit up after he heard what you said. "You haven't eaten yet have you. Actually nevermind, it wouldn't matter if you have or not, I'm sure you would still eat anyway." You laugh as you start to walk off.

"Yay! I'm so glad you take care of me N/N." He shouts as he catches up with you.

"You should probably text Emma and tell her where you are. I don't want her to worry about you." Sometimes I feel like a parent, when it comes to Mikey. Not that it mattered to you.

"Ok I'll tell her that we're on a date!" He said with an innocent expression.

"N-no you're not, you are going to tell her that we are getting food, and then you're going home." You stutter out, trying not to look embarrassed.

"Am I going to drop you off at home?" He asks.

"Well, I should hope so, otherwise it would take me an hour to get home at least." You answer, wondering why he asked in the first place.

"So let me get this straight, we are going to go eat food, and then I'm taking you home. How is that not a date?" Oh, so that's where this line of questioning was headed.

"S-Shut the fuck up Mikey. It's not... a date, ok?" You turn your head trying not to show how flustered you are.

"Whatever you say N/N." He says, finally dropping the subject. He seemed a little upset about your answer, but you had no clue why. Meanwhile you were almost dying of embarrassment. You're sure he noticed, but he didn't say anything else about it.

But you thought that you saw a small smile on his face as the two of you entered the cafe.

As you entered the cafe, a hostess was there to greet you and find a seat. She didn't look awfully happy that the two of you were there however, but you couldn't blame her, seeing as how it was late at night and they were supposed to close soon.

You ordered a drink and a small treat for yourself, while Mikey, of course, ordered a kids meal. Since it was so late, they forgot to put a flag in the meal, but before all hell could break loose, you pulled one out of your coat pocket and put it right on top of his meal. The waitress gave you a strange look, but she looked too tired to care about whatever the hell just happened.

"Y/N, are you ok?" You heard Mikey mumble in between bites.

"Don't talk while you're chewing Mikey, it's rude." Was all you had to answer, in an attempt to change the subject.

"You didn't answer the question" He said as he stared directly at you.

"Yes Mikey I'm fine, why wouldn't I be?" You say with a fakely sweet smile on your face. Mikey immediately knew you were lying.

"Well, for starters, you were hit over the head with a bat yesterday, and because of something we did! You are surrounded by morons who don't take responsibility for their actions, and your family..." He shouted at first but his voice began to drop by the time he got to his last sentence.

"My family is dead? Mikey, I've made peace with that. You guys are my family now, and that's why I would do anything for you. I thought maybe, just maybe, this time I could redeem myself. I could protect you guys." You start to say with tears in your eyes as you look over at Mikey, who looked heartbroken to hear those words come out of your mouth. "I thought maybe I could protect you guys to make up for what happened." You finish, doing your absolute best not to cry as you wipe the tears from your eyes.

"Listen Mikey, I'm ok. I really am, sometimes it still hurts to think about them. But they are gone, and there is nothing I can do about that, so that's why I have to take care of you guys, because you're the only ones I have left. And besides, you morons would be 6 feet under if I hadn't been looking out for you." You add a joke at the end, to show Mikey that you're ok. And fortunately it seems to change the tone.

"Man, I'm really bad at this date stuff. I made you cry on our first date, I don't think that's supposed to happen." He chuckles out, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck.

"Mikey, if this was a date, shouldn't you be the one paying for our meal?" You joke as you mockingly arch and eyebrow.

"No, you always pay for our stuff! Besides, there's no way in hell you would ever let me buy your food." He answers back, sticking his tongue out.

"Well, you might have a point there." You laugh as you hand money to the waitress and stand up to leave. "Call it what you want Mikey."

"I will, and I'm calling it a date." He answers back.

"Yeah, yeah, can you just take me home already. The longer it takes for me to get home, the less likely a second date becomes." You say as you roll your eyes. And with that the two of you jump on the back of his bike and drive you home.