76- We're going to be okay

The next morning they sought Mike out for help. He looked a lot different than he did yesterday. He no longer wore the white armor of a Commonwealth soldier, only some of Aaron's old clothes that had been left behind. He looked so much friendlier this way, so much more like the early-twenty year old he was.

"There's an orphanage in the Commonwealth, but they take in any parentless kids. No questions asked. It's called the City's Children's home." Mike began. "My guess is that they took the little ones there."

"Where is it?" Rosita asked, barely giving him the time to finish speaking.

"It's in the lower wards. I could show you on a map, or I could take you there. I grew up there. I know the people who work there. They're the closest thing to family that I have. I could just take you there." He replied. He didn't let her hateful remarks get to her. He understood why she didn't like him.

"So, we're just gonna have to trust you?" She tilted her head. She was about two seconds away from breaking his nose. He was playing at an angle. All she wanted was to find her daughter back, that was the only thing that mattered now.

Siddiq noticed the shift in her stance. He knew she was about to punch the poor guy and he pushed her back gently. "We can trust him. Ask Alden, he'll tell you the same. He helped us out before he turned to the warden."

"Alden trusts nearly everyone he meets. One polite smile and he thinks you're a good person." Rosita shot back.

"Okay, then trust me." Siddiq wiped his hand down his face. "I want our daughter back as much as you do. I think the guy that grew up in the place we need to go is our best lead."

"He's refusing to give us the address." She shook her head. "I can't trust him."

"I'm not refusing anything." Mike interrupted. He felt the need to defend himself, even if he earned himself a death glare from Rosita. He took a step back, afraid he'd get his teeth punched in otherwise. "I can give you the address, but there isn't going to be a big welcome sign. It's all hush hush. Like a shameful little secret. It's not something Governor Milton wants people to know about."

"Let him help. He's our best chance at finding our daughter." Siddiq urged Rosita again.

She nodded slightly. "Alright." She turned her back to Mike and narrowed her eyes. "But..." She paused and showed him her knife. "I'll kill you myself if you cross us."

"Understood." Mike scraped his throat. "But threatening me is not necessary, so please stop."

Just like them, everybody was getting ready to leave. Alden stood at the dinner table in one of the homes. It had been turned into a barrack for the guards. He fumbled with a rifle in his hands.

"Heard you got shot." Dianne said as she entered the room.

"Good morning, Dianne." He greeted her without looking up. He wasn't really in the mood to talk. Not today, not with what they were about to do. Not even someone he hadn't seen in ages could pull him from his slump.

"You know, Hershel and Hope were beyond and excited when they saw me this morning. I expected at least half as much excitement from you." She joked. It didn't quite land.

"I'm not in the mood. Adam's still missing." He looked up and placed the rifle on the table.

"I know." She sighed. "That's why I'm here, seeing you with a rifle is concerning. You can't aim for shit."

"I can shoot a rifle." He muttered.

"Say that to your bullet wound. Tara told me you were left for dead on the forest floor." She shot back.