68- Enemies

Tara and Jesus ran into Aaron and Gabriel whilst they were on their way back to the others. Both duos had finished sweeping the floors and hadn't been able to find anyone. They decided to head back to the safe room and once they made it closer they heard voices they didn't recognize.

Jesus peeked around the corner carefully and saw the troopers in their white armor. The ASL that Connie had taught them came in handy now. He pushed the tips of his index fingers against each other and pulled them apart. He followed up by holding both his hands out with the palms facing down and his fingers flexed. He pulled them back and curled his fingers into loose fists.

"Enemies. Go back."

Everyone understood, despite their rudimentary ASL, and they snuck back to the stairwell. There they could communicate in hushed whispers.

"They're about to be found." Jesus whispered.

"We have to draw them away." Tara insisted.

"The roof." Aaron said promptly. "Make them think they trapped us there." He added as he pointed to Gabriel. He pointed to Tara and Jesus, "but actually, you're waiting for them."

They gave affirmative nods and the plan was set. Tara and Jesus ran up the stairs immediately. Whilst Aaron and Gabriel set their plan into motion. Aaron fired his gun down the stairwell to alarm the troopers of their presence. The gunshots echoed against the bare concrete walls.

"Aaron, up to the roof!" Gabriel yelled at the top of his lungs to make sure the troopers would come the right way. Now they had to hope it wasn't too late.

They ran up the stairs as fast as they could. This was by far one of their most impulsive plans, but it was a plan they knew would work. It was their only option.

They had barely made it to the roof before Carlson and two troopers showed up. The oversight in Aaron's plan caught up to them. They were putting themselves into serious danger by using themselves as bait. Their only solace was that Carlson loved theatrics and he would draw it out long enough for Tara and Jesus to step in.

"Stop! Drop it!" Carlson snarled at them as multiple guns were loaded and aimed at them.

Aaron and Gabriel feigned shock and threw their weapons to the ground. Carlson lowered his gun and threw the old metal rusted roof door shut with a loud bang.

"Enough of this shit!" He yelled, spit flying everywhere out of frustration. "What are you even thinking? Hmm?" He raised his gun and stormed up to them. "Turning on me, on the Commonwealth, for what? Some tenement warlord and all his thieving followers."

Jesus and Tara snuck out of cover slowly, careful not to make a sound. Aaron watched them out of the corner of his eye as Carlson rattled on.

"I really thought you were smarter than that." Carlson finished just as Jesus slid the throat of one of the troopers.

He didn't like to kill, but he knew it was their only option. Tara followed up by stabbing the other one through the armor gaps before Carlson could even turn around. Before he could react to what he saw, Aaron smashed his gun out of his hand with his mace and tackled him to the ground.

Carlson rushed to speak into his radio, fumbling with the awkwardly shaped black box. "All troopers up to the roof now!"

The small group stared at him with disgust written on their faces. He had to die.

"Sir, we have combatants inbound." A trooper replied statically over the radio. Then almost immediately gunfire erupted below them in the building. This round was won by Riverbend and Hilltop.

"Okay." Carlson snickered. "That's good." He was trying to hide that he was terrified. "The wisdom to know the difference, right? Look, things just got a little out of hand."