Chapter 26

The next morning, everyone started getting food before going back to the island. They would leave the next day.

Yuki saw Rylo picking fruit from a tree and walked over to help him.

"Hey."

He looked at her and smiled.
"What's up?"

"Nothing much! Just wanted to see how you were doing, and thank you for helping Kubo yesterday. I don't know what you told him, but whatever you said, worked."

He nodded and continued to pick fruit.
"Sometimes you think you can get out of it on your own. All that does is make you think that you're alone. When you're like that, the best way to get out of the dark is to find the light."

She smiled back at him.
"That's very wise of you."

He smiled back at her.
"So you talked to D?"

She sighed.
"Yea. I think he'll talk to her today. Then everything will be ok! Easy sailing!"

He nodded.
"I hope so."

Zuri and Beah were grabbing sticks for the fire.

"How ya feeling?" Zuri asked.

"Just worried for my brother, that's all. If he even claims me as his sister anymore. I rather not ask." Beah said.

Zuri nodded.
"I'm sure he sees you as a sister and is very proud of you for turning on the Dragon Empire. Especially considering it was all you knew."

Beah closed her eyes and looked at Zuri.
"I mean, I'm sure if he sees Naviia anywhere, she'd make his blood boil or his father- or uncle."

Zuri looked at her confused.
"Why does it bother you that he doesn't like them? You shouldn't either. Did you not see how the death of his real father made him feel?"

"I still love them! Naviia is still my sister in my heart. It hurts me to see them fighting."

Zuri scoffed.
"You're a Guardian. Those people are bad, Beah. Do you not know why we are here? We are here to protect the people and help the Azena keep peace."

Beah looked away from her.
"Don't you think I know that by now? It's hard to let go of people who care for you. Who fed you? Who taught you how to walk? To fight. It's just that I was taught that taking over these lands would help the people. When I saw the big fight on the island, it made me realize." Beah walked over to Zuri. "What I'm saying is that maybe because I forgive the Dragon Empire, Kubo would never love me like a sister. Also considering I wish Naviia was good too."

Zuri took her hand.
"Don't beat yourself up about something you couldn't control. You didn't know. It's hard, I know. I've got to talk with Kubo. I got to learn his tone and his demeanor. I've even got to fight by his side. I'm positive that he still loves you. He loves all of us. We are Guardians. We will never leave one behind. But Beah, it's time for you to accept your real family and take this role. You see what they did to your people. I know you love them, but it's time to protect the innocent, not the guilty."

Beah nodded and hugged her.
"Thank you, Zuri."

"Anytime, B."

Eun-ji and Kubo kept a lookout just in case any warriors tried to track them down on top of the hill.

"Pretty sun, huh?" Eun-ji asked.

He nodded.
"For now until it goes down."

She looked back out into the ocean.

Kubo then looked at her and back towards the ocean.
"You were pretty mean when we first met. And now you're super close to me. Why is that?"

She looked at him.
"I saw your eye."