Where's Mommy?

I gave Cole a child guys..I'll give a bit of background as usual

Background: Birdie "Bird" Caufield, 3 years old, mom left after giving birth after claiming she's too young for a kid, Cole raised her with the help of his teammates and the WAGs

"Daddy." Birdie called out for Cole, who was sitting on the floor near her.

"Yeah, sweets?" Cole replied, pausing the show he was watching. His attention turned to his daughter who was playing with their little puppy.

"Where's mommy?" Cole swears his heart stopped right there. The one question he was hoping she'd never ask. 

"Uh..she's on a..vacation!" He spoke quickly, a couple tears brimming his eyes at the memory of his girlfriend who decided she was too young to take care of a child.

Cole never thought that. Sure, he was only 19 when the girl was born, but he never let it affect him. If he ever had to quit hockey for her, he would do it in a heartbeat. His friends and family told him he was insane but it's just how he is. Whatever hockey meant to him was nothing compared to what his daughter means to him.

"Lets get ready to leave for daddy's game, yeah?" He asked Birdie, who nodded quickly. She ran to her room to decide an outfit.

Cole quickly changed into his suit, the thought of Taya still in the back of his mind. The boy shook his head and walked into his daughter's room to see her staring at two different outfits. Her big, green eyes turned to stare up at her father with a confused look.

"Daddy, I don't know what to wear." She pouted. Cole laughed and shook his head, look at the two outfits before choosing one and helping her change.

"Twinkle toes or converse?" Cole asked Birdie after he got his shoes on.

"Twinkle toes!" The little girl cheered, pointing to her worn twinkle toes. Her dad smiled and helped her put them on her feet.

Pinky Pie, their dog, who was named upon Birdie's suggestion, ran over to the two and whined. She sat at Cole's feet and practically begged him to take her. The older boy sighed and put the dog in her kennel so she wouldn't run. After a couple minutes, they left.

Arena..

Cole dropped Birdie with the WAGs so that she could get some food before the game. He offered to pay but the girls refused, telling him it was their treat. Walking into the locker room, everyone could tell something was off with the short man.

"Spill." Nick spoke, sitting in his stall on his phone. Cole looked up at him as he changed into his conditioning clothing.

"Birdie asked about her mom." The locker room was silent. So silent that you could hear a pin drop. 

They all know that this was the question that Cole's been dreading. Kirby Dach, who was sitting in the corner talking with one of the medical staff, stood up and walked over to his teammate.

"What'd you say?" He asked softly.

"That she was on vacation." Cole muttered. "But what do I do when she gets older and her mom isn't back? I lied to my daughter! Oh my God she's gonna hate me when she finds out. I should just tell her the truth, huh? But that'll ruin her!" The team let him ramble for a couple minutes before the GM gave them a look, saying they need to warm up.

"Cole!" Suzuki yelled. Cole looked up and sighed. "She won't hate you man. Wait until she's older, then tell her. For God sake, she's three years old! All it is, is curiosity." This soothed the nerves that the young player was feeling and he nodded in understanding.

***

WC: 614