Traded

"Alexis.." Lindy Ruff started after calling Alexis Hughes into his office. 

Christmas trade deadlines are coming up and Alex's nerves were through the roof upon being called in. She thought she was clear for trades, even though her game hasn't been well recently, but the look on Ruff's face was telling her otherwise.

"You've been traded to the Vancouver Canucks." He said with a look of empathy placed on his face. Despite the look, Alex smiled.

"Vancouver?" She asked giddily. He nodded with a now confused look replacing the empathy.

She thanked him and ran out of the room. Jack and Luke stood there with looks asking for her to tell them what happened. Suddenly, a sad feeling crossed over her and her face fell. The two brothers shared a look then looked back at her.

"I've been traded.." The girl stated slowly and sadly. The two boys both had a frown placed on their faces. "..to Vancouver." Unexpectedly, Jack smiled and Luke jumped up and down.

"TWO ON TWO BABY!" Luke yelled out of joy. "Oh, yeah, we'll miss you, A." He stated after a moment. Alexis rolled her eyes and laughed.

"Lets go get you packed, baby Hughes!" Jack exclaimed, wrapping an arm around both his younger siblings' shoulders. 

The two twins rolled their eyes and laughed. Alex leaned her head on Jack's shoulder and grabbed Luke's hand in a sibling way, like they used to when they were younger. He squeezed her hand in comfort as the three of them walked out to their car. Fellow Devils watched the Hughes' with confused looks.

Airport..

"I'm gonna miss you dumbasses so much!" Alexis sighed as her brothers embraced her in one last group hug. 

"We'll miss you too." Jack hugged her tighter then let her go, wishing her well and walking off. However, Luke couldn't find it in himself to let her go.

This is his twin sister. They've been through it all. From sharing a birthday party for twenty years to playing on the same NHL team. Throughout the last twenty years they've never been separated. Hell, they went to UMich together. He doesn't know what he's gonna do without her. She's his best friend, someone who he can almost always turn to if he needs support or even just a simple hug.

"I don't want you to leave." He admitted out loud. Alexis sniffed and hugged him tighter, allowing a tear to fall down her face. "Don't start crying because I'll start crying." The boy asked her desperately, laughing humourlessly.

"What am I gonna do without you?" Alexis asked Luke. 

Ever since they were kids, she's relied so heavily on him. He helped her with school work since he's so much smarter than she could ever imagine to be. Throughout grade school she was constantly bullied for playing hockey in a male league. Having her brothers be like the hockey Gods didn't help her much either.

The kids at school would always say that she wasn't good enough to play hockey. At one point she almost quit hockey all together just to get the torture over with, but who stopped her? Luke. He didn't let her quit the sport he knew she loves. 

"You'll be alright, A. I'm only one call away, alright? You know that?" Luke reassured his sister who nodded. Her flight number was called for boarding so she pulled away with teary eyes. "We'll see you in a couple weeks for Christmas." He kissed the top of her head.

Alex nodded but didn't say anything. The twins parted one last time as the girl walked into the hallway and sat down in her seat, ready to start a whole new chapter of her hockey career with Quinn by her side.

***

WC: 615