Chapter Twelve

Onyx lay on a table, the flickering light of a singular candle casted shadows on her pail face. Her ivory skin clammy, with shimmering beads of sweat adorning her forehead. She laid on the wooden table, resting. The wound on her side had been tended to, cleaned and sewn up, the bandages crimson-stained.

Rok sat by her side, his protective gaze never once leaving her. He felt a surge of guilt as his eyes fell upon Onyx's weakened form, as if he deep down believed he could have prevented it all from happening.

"Rok," his ears perked up at the sound of a whisper, the voice belonging to a young boy. Jade.

"Yes?" he mustered up an answer.

"Well, I just came to make sure you were all right," Jade said as he came closer, entering the door-less doorway. "Oldren and I have gone around ensuring that everyone made it out of the fire; it is just you now."

"Well, I am out of the fire, and I am fine," he replied groggily.

"Ok then... I'll just leave you be," Jade said slowly as he began backing out of the room in an animus manner, as though waiting for Rok to stop him. Yet, the moment never arrived.

Then, just as Jade's footsteps became distant, Rok's ears picked up short, stubby footfalls.

"Oldren, great," he thought with dread.

"Oi, Lad, what are ya doing in here?" Rok heard Oldren bark at Jade, yet no reply came from the boy. Rok could only assume that he was giving a 'what do you think I am doing?' glare in response.

"Oldren, leave the boy alone," Rok called out, his eyes staring forward onto Onyx's sleeping form.

"Yeah! Leave me alone," Jade sneered.

"Ah, Shadup ya butthead," Oldren grumbled.

"No, you shadup! You bearded goblin," Jade taunted.

"Ya know what ye little, smug-faced piss-ant!" Oldren cried out.

"You ugly troll fart!" Jade answered back.

"Enough!" Rok hissed as he turned abruptly, facing the bickering pair with angry, smoldering eyes. "Just leave!"

The room suddenly fell silent, with Oldren and Jade only gawking at him as though they were trying to make sense of Rok's sudden flare of aggression. Rok watched with steady eyes as Oldren opened his mouth and then closed it. Turning and leaving with a baffled expression. Jade followed suit, though not without shooting a final defiant glare at Oldren.

Rok's gaze softened as he turned his attention back to Onyx, letting out a hushed sigh. The room was now filled with a new somber hush, the only sounds being the soft wisps of the dying candle and Onyx's shallow breathing.

"You shouldn't put yourself at risk for me," he whispered softly as he brushed a strand of her Obsidian hair away her closed eyes.

"Never"