34.

Lawyers and brake downs

It was a normal week: wake Owen up, take him to school, work, repeat

It was a normal week: wake Owen up, take him to school, work, repeat. Each day, I was more nervous than I was the day before. Why? Because recently, I got another letter in the mail saying that my court date is this weekend. Thank goodness Dane doesn't play this weekend, because I wouldn't be in the right mind set.

"Hello, Civil Lawyers office, how may I help you?" A polite lady answered the phone.

"Hello, I'm calling to talk with Carly Keith?" I responded.

"Of course, I'll transfer you over." She puts me on hold and then directs me to Carly.

"Hello Dr. Faith!" She greets me.

I clear my throat before speaking, "Hey, I'm calling today about my court date with Matt. Did you get the fax I sent over?"

"Yes, I did. I looked over it. Would this be virtual?" She asks.

"Yes," I confirmed. I don't know if I could stand being in the same room as Matt right now.

"Okay, would you like me to come in person and we can be on there together or have a virtual meeting before the meeting itself and I join separately?" She asked. I think about it for a moment.

"You can before hand," I confirmed.

"Great!" she says.

For the next hour, we discuss the paperwork and legal stuff. After, it was dinner time, so I made some dinner.

It was just going to be Owen and I tonight because Dane has to travel for conferences. He was very upset when he found out that the court date is this weekend because he can't be here for me. I told him not to worry about it, plus I've been on my own for forever.

~

"How was your day?" I asked Owen as we ate our dinner in silence.

He shrugged his shoulders, not talking, and continuing to eat his food. I sighed. Something is up with him.

"What's wrong Owen?" I ask him, getting straight to the point. He looked at me, tears in his eyes. 

"I don't want to go live with my dad. I want to stay here!" Owen shouts, tears welled from deep inside and coursed down his cheeks. 

My heart shattered. It felt like I was ripping apart as I sat here and watched my son cry because of his father once again. "Baby," my voice quivered. 

"Mommy please," he begged. My tears came too, but that didn't matter. If your child was begging you, how could you ignore them? I stood up from my chair and strode over toward him. I sat down in the chair and pulled him on my lap. 

"I won't let you. I'm going to fight so hard for you, my love. You will never have to see him." I hugged Owen for what it felt like for hours. When he fell asleep in my arms, I took him in my arms and upstairs to his bedroom. 

Once I shut his door, I broke down. Then I cried myself to sleep. 

~

"Shit, baby, I'm so sorry." Dane says through the phone as I laid in my bed the next morning. 

"God Dane, it was fucking heart broken. I don't even know how he found out." I question. 

"Babe, I don't know." Dane sighs. 

"I feel like I'm failing. I can't let him win Dane." I sniffled. 

"You won't. He doesn't even know his fucking child's name. I don't care how long it takes. I will pay for the best lawyers and we will fight." Dane declared. "Now I want you and Owen to just go out and distract each other. I'm going to try to go home early, so I can be there later tonight." Dane said.

"Dane you don't have to do that." I clarified. 

"I want too. You and Owen are my life. I love you both so much. And I'm not going to sit here and wait for something to happen. I'm going to fight with both you and Owen." Dane defended. And my tears were back. 

"I love you so much Dane. Get back safely." I said. 

"I will," he said. 

We both hung up. I decided to take Owen out. Dane was right, we both needed a distraction. I took him to the toy store, lunch, and then the park. That way when we got home, he could fall asleep, and I could do this meeting while he's asleep. 

Before I knew it, my lawyer was here and the meeting started. But no sign of Dane.