12: baby shower

"Green is the new pink."

--☆--☆--☆--

Cassie had been dreading this moment all day. She did absolutely everything in her power to avoid it. She faked being sick, refused to get dressed, dragged her feet the entire way to the car, and gave Lorelai incorrect directions on purpose all to avoid this moment. Yet somehow here they were sitting in front of Christopher and Sherry's apartment, looking at the green balloons that decorated the entryway.

"No pink, no blue," Lorelai said, looking at the balloons with a confused eye.

"All green," Rory nodded.

"Arent baby shower balloons supposed to reflect the sex of the baby?" Lorelai asked the valid question. "Blue for boys, pink for girls."

"You would think," Rory agreed.

"What's green for, aliens?"

"Well it is Sherry's baby," Cassie muttered under breath.

Lorelai smiled softly looking between her two daughters. One who just looked nervous about going in, the other looking like she'd rather put a fork through her eye than go inside. "We're all set right? Anytime you want out, just send up the flare."

"I'm sending up the flare," Cassie immediately replied.

"We will," Rory said for the both of them.

"Even if I'm half-naked in a changing room, I'll just grab everything and rush out," Lorelai told them, hoping to comfort them at least a little bit.

"You making a half naked entrance would be funny," Rory smiled.

"Hi!"

Sherry's cheerful voice made all three Gilmore women jump. Their eyes were wide as they looked out the window past Rory where Sherry stood, smiling at them.

"Whaa!"

"Oh, I'm sorry, I totally snuck up on you," Sherry apologized.

"It's okay, Hi," Rory smiled politely back at her.

"Hi Rory, Cassie," She looked at the girl in the backseat who gave her a halfhearted smile. "Lorelai, I'm so excited you came."

Lorelai shook her head, "Oh I'm just dropping the girls off."

"Oh, don't go, stay," Sherry insisted.

Even though Cassie could see that her mother was panicking, she couldn't help but smile. She'd much rather go in there with Lorelai. At least then there would be someone else in the room who wasn't completely sold on this baby thing.