07: breakfast soup

"I'm not scared of Luke."

--☆--☆--☆--

"Well, this is nice, isn't it?" Rory asked as she looked between her mom and grandma. The two women were completely quiet, they wouldn't even look in each other's directions. They weren't even pretending like they weren't annoyed with each other.

Rory looked over at Cassie who was sitting on the other couch. She gave her a pleading look, needing some help to break the silence they were sitting in. Cassie shrugged her shoulders not knowing what she was supposed to do.

"Please," Rory mouthed to her then Cassie nodded at her.

"So, Grandma, Grandpa is traveling again, right?" Cassie asked as she looked over at Emily.

"Yes, he is," She nodded.

"Business must be good," Rory asked her, hoping to keep the conversation going..

"Seems to be."

"That's great. Isn't that great, Mom?"

"A jig is forthcoming," Lorelai replied in a monotone voice.

It got quiet again. Rory and Cassie shared a worried glance, neither of them knowing what to do. They, of course, knew that Emily and Lorelai were still upset with each other over last week's dinner. When Lorelai announced that she and Christopher were no longer together and that Sherry was pregnant. Obviously the news did not go over well as Lorelai left before a conversation could be had.

"Mom's business is great too," Cassie said, ending the second round of silence. "I mean, it's not without its problems, right Rory?"

"Yes, but they're usually funny problems... like, oh, Mom, why don't you tell Grandma about the mouse?" Rory prompted Lorelai to speak.

Emily turned her head to look at her daughter, "What mouse?"

"Mom?" Rory nudged Lorelai's arm, trying to get her to say something that wasn't a one word response.

Lorelai let out a long sigh before turning to look at her mother, "There's a mouse at the inn," she said, continuing with the monotone voice.

"Is the place dirty?"

"No, it's just surrounded by a thing called nature... and mice happen," Lorelai replied, the annoyed look never leaving her face..

"Mice carry diseases, you know?" Emily informed her.

"It's a tiny little field mouse, Mom," Lorelai said to her.

Rory turned her head to look at Cassie, the two of them shaking their heads. It was no use. Lorelai and Emily would argue no matter what they did because, well... they're Lorelai and Emily.