04: secrets in the dark

"Don't fall off the face of the earth, please."

--☆--☆--☆--

Before now Cassidy Gilmore never knew the fear of waking up in an unfamiliar place. She rolled over in the bed slowly realizing it wasn't hers. Her brain felt foggy like she was waking up from a year long coma.

Her eyes opened slowly, barely being able to adjust to see in the dark room. All she knew at this point was that this wasn't her room and she had no clue where she was. Cassie tried to sit up but that's when the nausea hit her.

She put her hand over her chest as she mentally told herself not to throw up. She could honestly still feel all the alcohol she drank earlier that night. And it was still making her head fuzzy and only made the nausea worse.

"You're awake."

Cassie turned her head, recognizing the voice. On the other side of the room Jess was sitting on the couch, a book in his lap and a flashlight in his hand. She looked away from him to look around the room, now that her eyes had adjusted she realized she was in Luke's apartment.

Jess stood up from the couch, walking towards his bed where Cassie had been sleeping. "You look like shit," He smiled as he sat down on the edge of the bed.

"Feel like it too," she admitted, her hand still placed on her chest. Jess reached forward grabbing the glass of water they'd left for Cassie. "Thank you," she said, taking the glass from him.

Cassie took small sips, still a little scared she'd make her nausea worse. She looked to the other side of the room where Luke was sleeping soundly. His loud snores filled the room, keeping it from being dead quiet. When Cassie finished drinking Jess took the glass from her, putting it back on the bedside table.

"How much do you remember?" Jess asked her, speaking quietly so Luke wouldn't wake up.

Cassie looked down thinking about what happened last night. Honestly, she remembered everything that happened. "More than I wish I did," She told him.

Jess nodded slowly and Cassie already knew what he wanted to ask her. She remembered telling him and Luke about the Christopher situation. That was the only part of the night she truly regretted. She hated thinking that they might be worried about her. Cassie would rather them think she was being a reckless teenager than know she was trying to drink her problems away.

"Stop looking at me like that," Cassie whispered, seeing the look in Jess' eyes. She expected him to look away but he didn't and that look never left his eyes. "Please."