10: broken sprinklers

"My oasis is your oasis."

--☆--☆--☆--

"Uh oh," Cassie whispered under her breath when a certain group of cars pulled up outside the diner.

She knew what was coming. The chaos, crying, and one very annoyed Luke Danes. Cassie was standing behind the counter making a new pot of coffee when they came in. Three families. A wife and a husband pairings with more babies than Cassie could count.

If there was one thing both Rory and Cassie were afraid of, it was a baby. Neither of them knew why but the thought of pregnancy made them queasy. Babies frightened them. Kids they were fine with but babies... that's where they drew the line.

"Luke," Cassie called out over the sounds of tables being pushed together and wives lecturing their husbands.

"No," Luke frowned when he saw them. "No, no," he turned around, not wanting to look at them.

Luke had a similar distaste towards this group. He didn't like that they came in once a week, moved around his table and ordered two glasses of iced tea only to linger all morning long.

"Who let them in?"

"Uh, " Cassie looked around, "the door?" She answered but her tone came out as a question instead of a statement.

He let out an annoyed breath, "go on," he said to her.

"No, Luke, please," Cassie immediately began shaking her head, not wanting to go over there.

"I pay you," He reminded her.

With an annoyed expression on her face Cassie set down the pot of coffee and walked towards the group. She put on her absolute best customer service smile, hoping to walk away as soon as humanly possible.

"Good morning," Her voice was higher than normal, wanting to sound extra polite, "What can I get for you today?"

All of the dads were busy trying to figure out what their wives wanted. The wives were busy lecturing their husbands on the correct way to parent and all that. Only one of the wives briefly glanced over at Cassie.

"Hi, yes, can we get- no he doesn't like the duck," the woman stopped midstance to look at her husband. "Not the duck."

"But..."

"Get the bag from the car," She told him and the man quickly stood up from his seat and ran out to his car.

"Sorry," she turned back to look at Cassie who had been standing there wide eyed watching all the commotion. "We'll get two- he's getting the wrong bag. I'm sorry, do you mind-"