Chapter 28

"I could go the rest of my life without seeing another pumpkin pie," Maisy said, pulling three from her large oven.

"You and me both," Junie said, dropping large spoonfuls of cookie dough onto the baking sheet.

It was late Thanksgiving day, and Junie, Maisy, MiMi, Levi and Luc were at Maisy's shop helping her with baking for her sale on Black Friday.

Black Friday was a huge day of Christmas shopping for their sleepy town. All of the stores had amazing deals that had people lined up in the early morning hours.

Maisy was smart and opened up her shop a few hours early to catch those that needed a caffeine boost for their adventures. She also offered a discount for her baked goods the whole weekend, so there were lots of desserts to be made to keep up with the demand.

"Alright, honey, I have scrubbed down your displays and made your signs for the weekend. I hung two of them on your door for you," MiMi said.

Maisy pulled MiMi in for a hug, thanking her for her help.

"Why don't you let Levi take you home, MiMi?" Junie asked. "It's getting late, and I know you'll be back here tomorrow."

MiMi nodded. "Do you mind, Levi?"

Levi turned from where he was washing dishes, drying his hands on a towel.

"I would be happy to," he said, handing Luc the towel and leaving Luc with the rest of the mess.

"Of course you would," Luc said.

Levi came over to give Junie a kiss.

"I'll be right back, angel. Let me know if you need anything while I'm out," he said.

She nodded, giving him a smile.

"Once the cookies are done, we should be out of here," Maisy said.

"For just a quick nap," Junie teased. "Should've just spent the night."

Maisy rolled her eyes.

"Nothing opens til four in the morning, so I'll get at least three hours of sleep," she said.

Junie slid the tray into the oven, and finally got Maisy to sit for a moment while she explained her plan for the next two chaotic days.

---

Friday and Saturday went by in a blur. Maisy ended up having some record sales and business, and Junie couldn't have been more proud of her. Junie couldn't have been more tired, either.

"We can start packing this house up this week," Junie mumbled to Levi. She was laying on top of him completely while he was on his back on their couch. His soothing touch and body heat were putting her right to sleep.

"You need to focus on your deadlines for work," he told her.

She nodded. She had three articles due back to back, and she had hardly had a moment to dedicate to them with all of the chaos.

"We should get our Christmas tree soon," she added.

He leaned up to kiss her forehead, pulling the soft blanket up around her. Her eyes fluttered shut and she was asleep immediately.

When she woke up, it was morning and she was in her bed. She rolled over expecting to find Levi, but he wasn't there.

"Levi," she called.

"There's my girl," he cooed, entering the bedroom. He plopped down on top of her, resting most of his weight on his arms. "You were so sleepy. Had a lot to catch up on, didn't you?"

He pressed his lips to her cheek and down her neck. She giggled happily from his affection.

"Why weren't you here when I woke up?" She pouted a bit, and he kissed her in response. She turned away, self-conscious because she had just woken up, but he turned her back to face him.

"You slept for twelve hours," he protested. "I can usually lay with you for the night, but that's a long time."

She gave another bubble-y laugh.

"I feel like I haven't talked to you in days," she said, wrapping her arms around him.

Levi hummed, giving her a much firmer kiss.

"Imagine how I feel," he teased, not giving her much space between their lips.

"You poor thing," she said, reaching up to run her hand through his fluffy hair. "You're just so deprived, aren't you?"

He hummed. "That's right. What are you going to do about it, angel?"

Her stomach growled, interrupting their moment.

He sighed playfully, letting his fingers drum along her ribs. She squirmed and laughed from the ticklish feeling.

"Let's get you fed first," Levi said, sitting up so she could also get up.