Chapter 23 Winter

He had studied Moon's face from the side when they had found the damaged human village. Moon really cared about humans. Aside from Sky, he hadn't met anyone else who shared the same interest in the human species. Well, maybe one of Pantala's dragons had been just as excited, but probably mostly in a scientific sense.

The look on her face and the delighted tone in her voice when he had suggested that they stay to see if they could help humans. On top of that, Moon herself had first sighed aloud the same wish. That's why he had dared to present it. No one had ever reacted like that to anything he had suggested. Especially when it comes to humans. And how was it possible that that someone was the one he had secretly loved all these years. It was as if the permafrost had melted inside him.

However, he was forced to wonder if Moon had come after him just on a spur of the moment, and he couldn't help the feeling of shame that rose up against his happiness. How could he ever - ever - be worthy of Moon? He felt as if the burden of the past could crush his budding hope at any moment. His hopes for the future.

Moon was sharp-eyed. She noticed immediately when his thoughts darkened, strayed, or focused on her. He might have thought she was still reading his mind. But the Sky fire was safely against his ankle, so it shouldn't be possible.

When Moon had suggested that they talk about them - he had immediately thought that Moon now wanted to make it clear that they couldn't date. That they were too different and that she couldn't ignore how Winter had treated her. He hadn't expected Moon to tell such things and before he knew it, he himself had revealed his deepest feelings. Then Moon had so passionately assured him that the past didn't matter, and hugged him with such fervor that his ice shell was broken once and for all.

As he held Moon tightly in his arms and listened to her breathing and felt her heartbeats against his chest, he finally believed it was true; that Moon could love him - or already did - in spite of everything.

He closed his eyes with a sigh. Moon had wanted him by her side. He listened to her slowing breathing for a while. He wanted to watch and guard her sleep, but exhaustion took over and soon he too was asleep.

Suddenly he awoke to the feeling that something was happening nearby. He hadn't been able to sleep very long yet, because the evening light had not yet disappeared from the forest. Moon, on the other talon, had disappeared from his side, and at the same time he realized that she was sitting at the entrance of their hut, holding branches to the side with one talon. He slowly bent himself up to see what Moon was looking at without flinching.

I should have slept outside. This softness makes me fall into a too deep sleep. I should stay alert to protect Moon

At once he froze. There was a human just a few steps away. Big eyes stared at them from the center of a small face lined with light fluffy hair. And at the very moment he broke into a run. Moon shouted and the human stopped, glanced behind him, but then disappeared into the darkening forest.

"Three moons! What just happened?" Winter asked confused.
"Sorry, I tried not to startle him. I was hoping you would have had time to talk to him."

Wait, Moon had indeed shouted at a human, but why had it sounded so strange?

"You used a human word! You did the same thing on the mountain, didn't you? I didn't know you knew human language", Winter realized.
"I learned it from a vision with Undauntable. I don't know more, I'd like to", Moon answered shyly.

"I can teach you later", he promised, again marveling at Moon's interest in humans. "But that person... why did he look so familiar..."
"I think he was the same boy we followed during the day."

"Yes, but there was something more to it... Well, maybe we should sleep now and think about it in the morning. At least he's not a danger and he's unlikely to come back at night. Come here", he laid down again and raised his wing invitingly. Moon snuggled into his side, careful of the wounds made by the bear, let her head fall against her front talons and closed her eyes.