Chapter 6 Moon Part 1

Something pulled her out of the darkness. A voice called to her, spoke frantically inside her head. The healing coolness first extinguished the fire raging on the scales, then spread inside her like water along the veins of a thirsty tree. The pain started to subside and she breathed easier, deeper. The stubborn heart had almost given up, but now it was beating life again.
Those words... A painfully familiar voice, yet as if far away from the caches of memories. Forgotten, kept silent. Then she fell into a sweet sleep where the desert heat was like a distant nightmare from years ago.
*
Sounds. Someone was drinking her, she had to swallow. More voices. A soothing coolness around her. Again the same calling voice, now calmer. It asked her something. She tried to answer, but couldn't even make a sound. The voice said something more, but again sleep took her in its embrace.
*
There was a light from somewhere. Coolness was suddenly replaced by humid heat. The voice - it was still heard, but more distant, worried. Then loud familiar voices. Moon wanted to speak, to tell that she was fine, but she couldn't get her body to obey her fuzzy thoughts.

She listened to familiar voices. Kinkajou, Glory... is that voice - Winter!? And Qibli! A happy feeling came over her. Are all my friends here? Gotta wake up, gotta get out of this fog. She raised her head and blinked. Everything was blurred, figures against the light, voices that sounded as if from a distant tunnel. She was forced to close her eyes again and sink back into the twilight.
*
A bright light. Familiar voices whispered softly around her. She opened her eyes, blinked. The figures began to sharpen. She tilted her head and saw her mother's face in front of her. They were in tears.
Where I am? Why is everyone here and such mixed feelings flooded her mind. Mother was immensely happy and relieved, but why was she crying? Kinkajou splashed rainbows, even though her thoughts couldn't be heard because of Sky Fire. You couldn't really understand Glory, as you usually don't, but relief and gratitude were the main thing. Ostrich was happy and sad at the same time, and... somehow... regretful. Qibli was here too, she sensed it, but the Sky Fire blocked his thoughts too. Pineapple was with Deathbringer on the terrace, they were talking in a low voice. Did they talk about Winter? Where was Winter?

Suddenly she had to get up. She pushed herself to sit up. Her head felt confused, her heart was pounding, she felt a nasty pain in her shoulder, and felt dizzy. Instantly three rainwings were around her and talons reached out to grab her.
"Hey, take it easy now!" And: "What happened to it?" And: "Moon!"
The room spun around her and she could only glimpse worried faces. Why is everyone acting so weird? What is wrong with me?
Firm grips forced her to lie down again, turned her over to the other side, being careful of her sore shoulder. Someone shoved cushions under her. She moaned and sank back into the darkness.
*
Silence. Where are everyone? She strained to clarify her thoughts. She opened her eyes and slowly rose to a semi-sitting position. I'm in the rainforest. This is the healers' lodge... Someone was walking back and forth on the terrace. Suddenly he stopped in the doorway and cried out. Moon tilted her head and blinked. It must be the sun time, that's why it's so quiet here.
A figure from the doorway stepped inside and Moon recognized him immediately. Qibli! Behind him, another SandWing landed on the terrace, along with Kinkajou!
"Qibli?" Moon said in a weak voice. "How are you here?"

"Oh Moon... I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have let you alone in the desert." A tear rose in the corner of Qibli's eye.
"What do you mean? Why am I here?"
"Don't you remember? You were injured in the desert and almost burned in the dunes. Two of Thorn's soldiers found you unconscious and brought you here."
"Where - ", Moon started, but then stopped, looking around.
"Winter left a little after sunrise. He was here all night", Qibli said as if seeing her thoughts. "He saved your life."
"Didn't you say that the Sandwing Soldiers brought me here?"
"Yes, they did, but you wouldn't have survived the night without Winter. That's what the healers said. You had bad heat stroke and sunburn. Your lungs and heart almost break down. The scales of Winter cooled you." Qibli looked at his toes, trying to hide his anxiety, then he glanced behind him, and as if given permission, Kinkajou hurried over to Moon. Ostrich followed more slowly.

"I'm so happy you survived!" Kinkajou exclaimed hugging Moon. "I don't know where I would have ended up without you!"
"To school?" Moon suggested and giggled. Kinkajou burst out laughing. Ostrich smiled behind her.
"Do you have something to eat?" Moon asked timidly.
"Banana! Here!" Kinkajou was overjoyed and pushed Moon a banana with brown spots from the bag under her wing, turning the same color herself.
"Thank you Kinkajou. I don't remember the last time I ate", Moon took a breath and then glanced at Qibli.
The last time I had a proper meal was when Qibli served me a meal at the Sandwing Fortress, she realized, embarrasment.

"Unfortunately, we have to leave. Kinkajou, will you take care of Moon?" Qibli said turning towards Kinkajou. "She needs to rest for several more days before she can try flying."
"Of course! I made sure she didn't leave this hut for at least a week!"
"Can you be away from school for that long?" Moon asked thoughtfully. "Mother can keep me company."
"Pffh, nothing is more important than making sure you recover", Kinkajou snorted, lifting her chin.

"Moon... may I ask how you hurt your wing? Did you bump into something?" Qibli interrupted.
"Um, I don't really remember... I think I ran into a dune... No one is as clumsy as me", Moon said, covering her face with her front claws.
Kinkajou giggled and Qibli looked away trying to suppressed laughter.
"I know... Don't bother laughing. It wasn't very funny if you can imagine", Moon commented in a slightly hurt voice.
"Forgive me Moon", Qibli said remorsefully.
"Sorry, I didn't mean to!" Kinkajou was horrified. "That image of just flying in the desert and crashing into a dune... that could have been me! I can really relate!"
"No you can't. You can run through a dense rainforest even in pitch darkness without crashing", Moon pointed out. "I attract accidents to me. Better if you stay a safe distance away", she sighed.
"Now you are exaggerating Moon. That was just an unfortunate accident that was very close to going badly. The main thing is that you survived. I can't even describe how relieved and happy everyone is, and not least me", Qibli said in such a loving voice that Moon almost burst into tears.

"Winter is a hero!" Kinkajou declared, glowing in so many shades that Moon's eyes were dazzled.
"That's true", Qibli agreed.
"Why did he leave before I woke up? Moon asked in wonder.
"Hmm, maybe... maybe he didn't want to be in the way..." Qibli guessed with his head down.
"He probably doesn't know yet", Ostrich added softly.
"I would have liked to thank him..." Moon sighed.
"You will surely see him soon", Qibli comforted. "Remember not to try to get going too early. Kinkajou is watching over you. Bye then!" Qibli and Ostrich hugged them goodbye and left towards the Kingdom of Sand.

"Wait a minute! What doesn't Winter know yet? What do I not know yet?" Kinkajou exclaimed to Moon with wide eyes when Qibli and Ostrich had left.
"Um, could you find me some more fruit? I'll tell you then..."
"Fine, but I'm only tolerating the wait because you just came back from the dead", Kinkajou huffed and flew out.

Whoah. Poor Kinkajou. She thinks she has been in the news blackout for a long time. Wasn't she surprised that Qibli came with Ostrich? Hmm, she's so fast in her turns that she doesn't have time to think. Moon forced a smile.
The shoulder and wing ached and her felt weak. Moon settled into a better position and rested her chin on the edge of the bed. Suddenly her eyes fell on a pouch on the floor.
What is this? She wondered and picked up the pouch with its strings with her claw. The sounds of the Rainwings died down. No - their thoughts were stilled! Moon carefully opened the mouth of the pouch, tilted it, and rolled its contents into her palm. One of the Sky Fires, a school library stamp and an earring - an amber pendant, similar to Qibli. She carefully picked up the stamp in her other talon and examined it. Winter's name was engraved on it as a mirror image.

Moon froze. That voice...

***