Chapter 16 Moon

No. No. No. Oh no! The cave could not collapsed! Not when I'm this close! There was nothing like this in my vision...

Moon took slow steps towards the edge of the collapse. She saw how the streams of rainwater flowing along the rocks roared down into the gorge. It was still raining so it was hard to see down properly. The bottom of the gorge flooded, and there - in the middle of the murky floodwater, near the opposite wall - was Winter. The opening was big enough for a dragon to fly through. Maybe not with the wings spread, but by pulling the wings narrow when going through the opening.

Why isn't he moving? They could have come out already... Is he hurt? He's in a strange position... I guess he isn't... no, can't be, can't be!

Suddenly, a silver head stained with dark blue blood popped up.
"Moon! Don't come any closer, the rock might collapse!" Winter shouted. Wren stood up beside him.

He's alive!
"Are you alright?" Moon called out to them, fearing the answer.
"Winter isn't", Wren replied and she saw how Winter quickly turned his eyes to Wren as if to silence her. Wren seemed to be saying something to Winter, but she couldn't catch it. The laceration on Winter's temple looked awful.

"Can you fly down here?" Wren asked Moon.
"Emm, unfortun-", Moon started to answer, but at the same moment, a clattering and screeching sound could be heard from the other end of the gorge. Everyone's heads turned towards the sound. Was Undauntable coming? Had he got the keys?

But Moon heard almost immediately that it was a larger group of scavengers. The sounds of footsteps echoed off the rock walls at first, but then there was shouting and what seemed like the sounds of an argument. At the end, the sound of splashing water as the newcomers waded in the flood water.

Apparently the entrance is higher and the water can't flow directly out of the cave, Moon thought. At the same time, she realized that she would be seen if she stayed on the edge to watch. She backed up further and crouched down, pulling the bag off her back.

I need to hear what's going on over there.
Wren's thoughts were concerned, but Moon did not understand the words.

I knew Undauntable couldn't make it. I hope Moon left. She shouldn't see this. Winter's desperate mind agonize.

The voices came closer. Angry and frustrated thoughts flooded from the gorge. Shoutings when the soldiers saw the collapsed rock and the huge opening above. Astonishment, wondering. And then. Roaring of the scavenger. It was nothing compared to a dragon's roar, but Moon had never imagined that a scavenger could sound so hideous and cruel. The emotions that invaded Moon's mind were arrogant, scheming and malicious. That must be Invincible Lord...

Moon heard the clanking of metal, the splash of water and the huffs of soldiers as they opened the huge barred door of the cell. They had to wrestle away pieces of rock that had flown between the bars in order for the door to open. Then the sound of wading and evil laughter. Invincible Lord spoke something, but Moon could not understand.

This is too easy now. Do you realize I could freeze you in a second. You only get me because of Wren.
What on earth? That was Winter's mind, but what is too easy?

Dragon girl, either you have come to your senses. Wren will never agree to help carry out your dirty plans...
Winter turns the speech of the scavengers into a dragon in his mind! Moon realized. I didn't know he was so good at it!

Last chance if you want this worm to stay alive. Do it, you lowly trash.
Dare to touch him.
"Wren don't, he's not worth it!" Winter hissed between his teeth.