Chapter 4 Kinkajou

Kinkajou was sitting in the library doing her homework when she heard thumps of hurried footsteps from the corridor, and soon a pale green RainWing, out of breath, stomped into the cave.

"Pineapple! What on earth are you doing here?" Kinkajou exclaimed standing up.
"Kinkajou, luckily I found you! You must come now!"

Starflight raised his head questioningly from behind the librarian's counter.
"What? Why?" Kinkajou insisted nervously.
"Moon is in the rainforest. SandWing soldiers found her unconscious in the desert. She has heat stroke and she's injured", Pineapple gasped, sinking down to lie down. "I flew straight here without stopping after fetching water at the healers hut and trying to cool her down."

"What was she doing alone in the desert?! Where is Qibli?"
"I do not know. The SandWings thought he might be on the coast today."
"By the moons! Why? I will never forgive him if things go wrong for Moon. Was Moon coming to ME?" Kinkajou suddenly realized. Vibrant colors splashed on her scales as a result of the emotional storm.
"Does Qibli know? No, of course he doesn't. Will someone tell him?" Kinkajou hurried on.
"Um, the SandWing soldiers will try to reach him or tell Thorn. You should go to the rainforest now Kinkajou."
"You come along."
"No, mercy, my wings are coming off. Gotta rest", Pineapple howled.
"You will be fine. You have even flown across the sea to a distant continent. Come!" Kinkajou commanded and slapped him forward with her wings.

"Sorry Starflight, I have to leave for a while. Can you tell to Tsunami? You probably heard our conversation?"
"Of course, Kinkajou. Say hello to Glory. And to Moon if possible. I hope she will be fine soon", Starflight answered in a worried voice.
"I'll say! Come on Pineapple, let's go!"

Kinkajou ran along the corridor towards the entrance hall and Pineapple panted after her with heavy steps, flapping his wings behind him.
Help, my best friend is dying! She stayed by my side when I was in a coma myself. I should have guarded her. Stupid school! If she dies, it's my fault. Shouldn't have let her out in the desert alone! Why has Qibli let her alone? Are they broke up? So sure, that explains a lot, but why? Why hasn't Moon written? That's why she was coming here! Winter must be told! He can help Moon!

Kinkajou turned around so suddenly that Pineapple almost ran into her.
"We have to get Winter!" She said frantically. "His cool scales! It's too hot in the rainforest for Moon to recover, Winter can help! "
Pineapple looked dumbfounded for a moment, but then suddenly said; "No! We are not going to make it. We have to go straight to the rainforest."
"Three moons! I don't usually get good ideas, but even you have to admit that this is a great idea! We have to get him!"
"I'm sorry Kinkajou, but I'm serious. There is no time if you want to see Moon alive..." Pineapple said quietly, lowering his head.

Kinkajou's scales turned a faint pale green and she stared at Pineapple with round eyes in shock.
"Moon ..." she whispered. Then she turned and limped the rest of the way into the great hall, her wings dangling. Clay and Sunny were there with a couple of students, and looked at the shocked-looking Rainwings.
"Starflight will tell you what it's about. We have to hurry", Pineapple hurriedly explained without pausing, and both of them spread their wings and took off even before they were outside the cave.

Kinkajou flew faster than she had ever flown before. She felt as if something evil was chasing her and she couldn't get away. This felt like a nightmare, the air was suffocatingly hot even here near the mountains, although the sun was already beginning to sink towards the horizon and the first of three moons loomed like a pale sickle in the sky. Kinkajou shivered as she imagined what the desert must have been like when Moon had tried to cross the dunes alone on foot with a damaged wing.
Oh, If only they had had time to fetch Winter! But she couldn't take the risk of not seeing her friend alive again. And then the cool scales wouldn't help anymore if... She cut off the thought. She didn't want to think the worst. That would be too horrible.

Finally, the green canopy of the rainforest spread out below them and Kinkajou dove into the lush green embrace of the jungle, knowing exactly where she was going. She didn't get lost in the rainforest. This was her home. Also the home of Moon. Moon had grown here. This is where she belonged! Fortunately, the SandWings had been smart enough to bring Moon to the rainforest. They must have been stranger to Qibli and Moon as they had not immediately recognized her. In the rainforest, she would receive the best care, and - best of all - her friends would be here.

Kinkajou used to thread through the thickets until she came at almost full speed to the door of the healers' hut. Pineapple had been left behind, as he was bigger and clumsier, but Kinkajou wasn't worried about him.

"Moon! I came!" She shouted, rushing straight to Moon's bed. The NightWing that was crouched next to Moon lifted her head and Kinkajou immediately recognized that that tearful face belonged to the Moon's mother. Moon was covered all over with damp cloths, but in spite of them, the little NightWing was still hot. She gently touched Secretkeeper's wing with her wing and began to cry.

Glory was standing on the other side of Moon, silently giving orders to some RainWing. Kinkajou couldn't focus on who or what she was talking to. The RainWing silently slipped out and fluttered into flight in camouflage color. Moon's mother slowly stood up and stroked her scales for a moment, then moved to the side, making room for Moon's friend.

Kinkajou crouched almost white from exhaustion and grief next to Moon's bed and held onto the edge of the bed with her claws, gently touching her neck with her snout. She didn't know if she had been lying like that for just a moment or longer, when two successive thumps were heard from outside. She couldn't lift her head or open her eyes to look. There was whispering from behind and then she felt the cool touch of smooth scales on her shoulder. She popped her head up so quick that she nearly knocked out Winter.

"Winter!" She squealed and pounced on his neck as yellow and pink spread across her scales along with pale green.