Chapter 5 Winter

Winter had spent many months figuring out the best structure for the scavenger sanctuary. A whole new village was taking shape here. The scavengers - or humans, as they called themselves - had presented their conditions for moving to the protected area through Wren. They seemed glad to have the dragons protecting them and no longer having to hide underground in caves.

However, the formation of the new village took time. Humans wanted their own village chief. It wasn't enough - or good enough - for them to have the dragon maintain order. On the other talon, it probably made sense. Even Winter didn't fully understand everything that humans wanted. In any case, they now had the opportunity to freely cultivate the land around the village, and they could leave the protected area if they wanted to. That had been one condition. That people would be able to travel elsewhere on their own responsibility if they wanted to. Although it wasn't necessarily very safe. Not all dragons could be trusted, even though the queens had decreed that scavenger hunting was forbidden.

Following the scavengers was even more fascinating today than it used to be. Now you could communicate with them. Winter had already learned some of the language of the scavengers - humans - and in addition to Sky's own person Wren, there was a group of young people in direct contact with him, of which Daffodil was one. Winter had grabbed her earlier just before the Pantala refugees arrived and named her Pumpkin. Sky had appeared to help her escape from the enclosure Winter had built, but Queen Snowfall had been there and, thanks to her invisibility bracelets, caught them. And the rest is history. Now Daffodil lived voluntarily in the protected area with her friends and family.

Winter was just practicing the words of humans with Sky and Wren, when Deathbringer came looking busy.
"Hey! What brought you here? Did Queen Glory send you?" Winter greeted in wonder.
"Hello Winter, my matter is really urgent. Would you come to the side?" Deathbringer asked in a strangely hasty voice.

"Okay. Let's continue later Sky. Thank you", he said to the others, the last sentence in human language, grinning at Deathbringer.
"What now?" He asked Deathbringer when he had gotten further away from the others.
"Moon needs your help."

Winter felt as if a stone had hit him in the stomach. "Moon? Why?"
"Your scales might save her life. She's in the rainforest, we have to leave now. I'll explain on the way", Deathbringer said, already taking steps away.
"Wait! What do you mean?"
"If you care about her at all, you'll come with me right now!" Deathbringer shouted, taking off.
Winter turned to look at Sky and Wren.
"I have to go! Can you take care of the area in the meantime?"
"Sure, go!" Sky shouted in response and both waved, although Winter didn't see it as he hurried after Deathbringer.

He easily caught the NightWing in the air. The IceWings were faster flyers and Deathbringer was already tired from the trip.
"Now you explain", he commanded, flying to his side.
"It's worth preparing for the worst, but since she needs to be cooled down, you might be her only hope."

It felt like the world had turned upside down and Winter was about to fall from the sky, but Deathbringer managed to tugged him back to his side. The pit of his stomach convulsed and he trembled, staring blankly in front of him.
It wasn't possible! That Moon was dying? How could I save her? No! Moon must not die!

"How? Why?" He stammered.
Deathbringer explained everything he knew and also told that Pineapple was going to get Kinkajou.
"Why wasn't Qibli with her?" Winter asked still shaking, trying to steady his voice.
"We do not know. I think Moon was going to the Jade Mountain. She had a bag with her, and it seemed to me that it contained all her possessions."

What did that mean? Could that mean... no, I guess it's not possible. She was probably going to meet her friends. But why drag the whole property with you for a short visit?