Chapter 31: Beach time

"Speaking"

'Thinking'

*Sound or Action*

Skill

Text being read

(Sally POV)

'Where to go?'

I scrolled through the map, trying to spot unexplored areas on my map. Every time when we think we explored the whole map, someone finds a new area, like how Leaf and Kanade found and solved a puzzle dungeon under the city. Not that I'm complaining about all the content.

It's been a week since the third level was released and a week left before the event, and nothing major has happened so far. The most exciting thing was Kasumi and Leaf finding a loot maze under the black market by accident. I should be grinding XP, but my motivation needed a jump start and I needed somewhere without prying eyes. Everyone else in the guild was practicing or grinding to get a higher level, but discretely so that the other guilds don't discover too much about us. That might be part of the reason there's not much activity lately.

I eventually decided that Juniper or Angelica might want to spend time together. I knew Juniper decently, but Angelica was still only an acquaintance to me. All I know about her was that she obsessed with having Leaf as her son, she's a several thousand year old angel, and has a skill like a long range Loving Sacrifice for Leaf.

I went to check Sanctuary and saw Juniper on a bed made of flowers, sleeping peacefully with Petal curled up next to her neck. And Angelica was sitting with her back to the center tree of Sanctuary, gently holding one of the flowers like she was sleepy. Petal looked so adorable, but it would be rude to bother them. So I go back to Maple Tree and summon Oboro for some cuddles.

Oboro made quiet sounds of enjoyment as I scratched him behind the ears, still searching the map. I let up for a moment to make sure I didn't overlook the map, and Oboro forced his nose under my hand to push it on top of his head. Going back to giving ear scratches and making sure I didn't overlook them, I sent Kasumi a message to ask where they were.

*Ding*

Kanade: Leaf found another hidden chamber in that dungeon under the black market. We're exploring it for now.

Reassured, I got up and set Oboro on my shoulder before heading outside. There could be more to explore in this machine city, places that don't involve me revealing my skills.

The streets were still packed with players, so I considered walking on the walls for a second. But to keep my skills hidden, I tuck Oboro underneath my scarf and walk through the dense crowd the best I could.

???: "How much? 100 enough?"

???2: "You're crazy if you think I'm picking someone that low"

I stopped and used a lamp post to climb and see what's going on. Some black haired young woman was eating a biscuit with shredded cheese on it while a couple other people were talking to her. In the woman's hand was a bundle of papers that seemed to be the topic of conversation.

Woman: "You think that I want to be there all day? None of you have enough DEX. Got it?"

Everyone grumbles and leaves, leaving the unknown woman. Then another player with blonde hair walked up to discuss buying a map of Green Demon sightings. More curious than before, I walked up to speak to her as the blonde walked away.

Me: "What's this about needing high DEX?"

Woman: "I need a special fish and have a special thing in exchange. Some of them were trying different trades"