Chapter 14: Relics of the past

"Speaking"

'Thinking'

*Action or sound*

Text being read

Skill

(Kaede POV)

*Yawn*

'I didn't get enough sleep last night'

I was walking to school, still remembering the in game week I spent with Leaf and Sally. It was so much fun! I wonder how Leaf's doing with Syrup and Oboro.

While I'm thinking about Leaf, the memory of Leaf's dilemma with the players crossed my mind. Sall- Risa didn't want to scare him, so she gave the reason of hiding from the cloaked man. She said that she had a plan, but-

???: "Morning Kaede!"

I looked back down the bridge to see my best friend approaching.

Me: "Good morning Risa! It feels like it's been forever since we went to school!"

I slowed down until Risa reached my side and walked to school with me.

Risa: "Yeah. It's only been a day in the real world though. Kaede, you should've careful today"

Me: "Huh? Why? Is there an enemy lurking around?"

Risa: "There it is. Your in game habits affecting you in real life. Yesterday was the longest time you've played NewWorld right?"

Me: "Huh...oh, ok! I'll be careful!"

(Time skip to Risa POV)

I was writing down notes for my class when a voice caught my attention.

???: "Kaede...Kaede..."

I looked up at the whispering person to see one of our classmates tapping Kaede's shoulder. She had fallen asleep in class. On the third tap on her shoulder, she sat up quickly with a serious look on her face.

Kaede: "Huh?! Is it my turn to watch-"

She stopped and blinked, looking around with a growing blush. She realized her mistake as some of our classmates started to snicker. There it is, in game habits.

Teacher: "Kaede Honjo..."

Kaede: "S-sorry"

Half of the class laughed as Kaede lowers her head with a blush of embarrassment on her face. I tried not to sigh and went back to taking notes.

(Time skip to before lunch)

Me: "That's why you should be careful"

Kaede: "Sorry..."

*Thump*

Some random student wasn't paying attention and accidentally bumped Kaede, making her drop her stuff.

???: "Oh, sorr-"

Kaede had raised her fist and pushed me behind her as the student looked confused.

Kaede: "Eh? Thank you! I mean, you're welcome! I mean, it's ok!"

Smoke was starting to come off her head as she grabbed the stuff she dropped and walked with me to the cafeteria. It is embarrassing for her, but it's kinda funny to me. But I stay quiet for her sake.

Kaede: "Can we eat outside today?"

I nod and follow her, away from the cafeteria and towards the stairs to the courtyard.