Chapter 17: Rising Tension

"Speaking"

'Thinking'

*Action or sound*

Text being read

Skill

(Risa POV)

I look over my notes from school and highlight down the years of the important events.

Kaede: "He got two new friends?!"

Me: "Yep. A cat that walks on two legs named Clover and a Dryolf pup named Lily after-"

Kaede: "Juniper's sister?"

Me: "Yeah"

I close my notebook and looked at the video call I had with Kaede. I saw her glancing at the headset and gloves, but she didn't do anything with them.

Me: "You miss Leaf?"

Kaede: "Yes. What if he gets hurt by the cloaked man or attacked by a player?"

Me: "I'm still working on it. But Iz and I have an idea to make it easier to keep track of him, thanks to the last update"

Kaede: "NewWorld updated?! What was it?!"

Me: "Items can be made and tracked on maps now. So Iz made an item for Leaf. The other stuff I'll tell you when you're done with your break"

Kaede: "Ok. Hopefully we can figure out how to solve...everything?"

Yep. There's a lot to figure out. I don't know which issue is more important. The cloaked man stalking Leaf, the game community hunting him for loot, and this weird quest line he's a part of.

Me: "I'm done with my notes. See you tomorrow at school"

Kaede: "Ok. Say hello to Leaf for me!"

I nod and end the call before clearing off my desk and grabbing my headset.

(Character swap to Sally)

I log in and immediately head to Sanctuary. Hopefully Leaf didn't have any more nightmares while I was gone.

Looking around, I didn't see him. I only saw Juniper sitting on the couch with a swarm of leaves in front of her. She had a stick in her hand and didn't have the gentle look on her face, but one of a stern teacher, directing it at the leaf swarm.

Me: "Juniper? Where's Leaf?"

Her stern expression fades and the stick fades from her hand as she gives a gentle smile. I took a step back seeing the leaf swarm suddenly heading towards me, but catch Leaf into a hug when the leaf swarm clusters to reform him.

Leaf: "Hi Sally!"

Me: "...Did you learn a new skill?"

Leaf: "Yep! Juniper taught me!"

Juniper: "He is a quick learner. Master Leaf?"

Leaf: "Yes mam?"

He stiffened and stood up straight as he turned to Juniper, like a soldier in training. What exactly happened?

Juniper: "Your training is done for today, so you do not need to address me as mam anymore. I am your servant again. And I must say, you are full of surprises, learning the Thrashing Vine and skills that come with it in one day"

Me: "Thrashing Vine?"

Leaf turned back to me and smiled, but it didn't look the same. He had bags under his eyes and a tired look in them.