Chapter 5: Danger of the maze

"Talking"

'Thinking'

*Action or sound*

Text being read

Skill

(No POV)

Inside the chest was a green pillow with an acorn resting on top of it. The acorn had an engraving of a tree that matched the other engravings on the wall. A tree that stood firm on a hill and grew tall enough for the leaves to touch clouds.

Me: "What is it?"

Maple: "An acorn and crystal?"

Sally: "Um, is this considered an empty chest in the game?"

Sally picked the acorn out and rolled it between her fingers. She was staring at it like she was trying to burn a hole in it with her eyes.

Maple poked the acorn as Sally looked to Leaf, or more specifically, the necklace Leaf had on before holding it closer. A faint glow was coming from the necklace that grew slightly brighter the closer the acorn was.

Leaf was inspecting the crystal and didn't notice what Sally was doing until she placed the acorn on his chest. The acorn flashed green and disappeared into particles that was absorbed by the necklace.

Maple: "What?"

Sally shrugged and looked around for anything they might have missed. Seeing nothing else that meant something to them, she stood up. Maple thinks and set her shield against the chest as she pulls the upgrade scroll from her inventory.

Sally: "There's got to be more he-"

*Click*

Everyone froze hearing a click in the floor. A second later, it gave away and revealed a circular hatch in the center of the room as the trio fell into darkness.

Maple: "Wha- Leaf!"

Leaf: "Maple!"

Sally: "I knew there was more!"

The falling was short lived as each faller landed on a net made of vines and plants to cushion their fall. Maple hit the ground with a heavy thud since her net didn't catch her, but sat up unharmed and reached for her shield. Only to see she dropped it.

Maple: "Where's my shield? Leaf? Sally?"

Sally (Muffled): "Maple?"

Maple got up to her feet and looked around the dirt tunnels they fell into. Roots of trees and other plants hanged from the walls and ceiling, making it feel like she was in the den of a burrowing animal.

Sally: "Over here"

Maple turned to see a small hole in the tunnel that showed a pair of familiar brown eyes staring at her.

Sally: "Looks like there was a hidden dungeon. You ok?"

Maple: "Yes, but I lost my shield. Is Leaf with you?"

Sally: "He's on the other side of the wall with your shield"

Sally stepped aside to show Maple another small hole in the tunnel Sally was in. Black hair and blue eyes were barely visible as Leaf stood on his toes to see Sally and Maple.

Maple: "Are you both ok?"

Leaf: "Yeah"

Sally: "Yes. I think this dungeon is meant to separate people and have them get out alone. Or we meet up at the boss room."

Each person there was in a tunnel made of dirt and rocks that extends into darkness. Above each of them was a hole that they dropped from.

Leaf: "What do I do?"