Chapter 24 : Still missing

Chapter 24

Later...

Riker POV    

It was hard to tell where we were because it was dark out. But wherever we were, it seemed like it was somewhere in the middle of nowhere. It looked like trees and farmland. And barely any houses or businesses.

I'm not sure how much dad drank, but he seemed to be driving less crazy, so I was guessing he was a bit more sober now.

But I still didn't know what to do. I was trying to remember what Mark told me. I think he said to stay calm, think clearly, and breathe. I was pretty calm. I wasn't hyperventilating. But I'm not sure I'm thinking clearly.

But what should I even be doing in this situation? I can't open the doors because they're locked. The windows are locked too. Should I just behave and see where he ends up taking me? Or should I be doing something else? I just don't know. Nobody teaches you what to do if you get kidnapped, especially by your own father.

"Dad?"

"Why are you speaking?"

"I just... wanted to know where we're going."

"You'll find out when we get there."

"Are we almost there?"

"No."

"Well then do you think you could stop somewhere with a bathroom?"

He didn't answer me.

"Please?"

"We're not near a bathroom."

"Well then could you just pull over?"

He slowed down and pulled over on the side of the road. I was thinking maybe this was my opportunity to try to run for it? Maybe?

Dad got out of the car and then opened my door. He grabbed my arm and pulled me out. And then he held onto the back of my shirt really tight, almost starting to choke me.

"Go. And if you try anything, you will never regret anything more in your entire life."

Ok, so maybe not the time to run for it. I went to the bathroom and then got back inside the car. Dad locked the door again and kept driving.

I need a plan. For when we get to wherever we're going. My first thought was to try to run for it, but after what he just told me 2 minutes ago, maybe that's not the way to go about this. And he's stronger than me, so I can't really escape if he's holding onto me anyway.

The problem is, I don't know what I'm preparing for. Is he going to lock me up somewhere? Is he going to torture me? Is he bringing me to another house that I don't know about to make me do chores until I make up for what I said? Oh god, what if he's taking me out in the middle of nowhere to... kill me.

No. There's no way.

I sighed and got as comfortable as I could in the backseat. I was going to try to get some sleep in the meantime.

Later...

Ross POV

I couldn't sleep. I just couldn't. I mean, how could I? I just kept thinking about all the bad things that might be happening to Riker, even though I was trying not to.

I got up and went to the kitchen to look for something to eat. I found some pizza in the fridge, so I took out a slice and sat down at the kitchen table to eat.

A few minutes later, Mark appeared and sat down at the table with me.

"Can't sleep?" He asked.

"I just keep thinking about him," I said, quietly.

"I know. Me too."

"Do you think I'll get to stay with you for a while this time?"

"I would think so."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"You're always at home with us. Like, I mean, you're not at work. Do you have a job?"

"Yeah. I'm just on a break for right now. Do you have any guesses what I might do for a living?"

I thought for a moment.

"I don't feel like you would work in an office. But I don't know what you would do for a living..."

"I'm a pilot."

"Really? Like for planes?"

"Yeah."

"That's so cool! Is it fun?"

"Yeah, I love it. I actually own my own plane."

"Really? How is that possible?"

"It's a small plane. Not like the ones you would take to travel around the country."

"Oh... So you just have it like for fun?"

"Yeah."

"Could you take me flying sometime?"

"I think I'd need to check with the foster center first, but if they say yes, then sure."

"That's awesome!"

I finished my pizza and got a glass of water.

"Do you think the police have any leads on Riker?"

"Let me check my phone."

Mark got his phone and seemed to be reading something, so I was hoping for an update. I'm just so scared something horrible happened. But the look on Mark's face was pretty neutral, so I don't think that's what's happening.

"So, the police said that they did find your mom. She wasn't arrested because she wasn't home when it happened. They questioned her and she didn't know anything about it. She did give them some information that you didn't know though. Like the make and model of your dad's car and his license plate. They have cameras on certain parts of highways, so they have all the cameras scanning for his license plate. They're doing everything they can. I think they're also trying to track his cellphone, but haven't been able to do that yet."

"Do you think Riker's ok?"

"Honestly, I kind of think no news is good news."

"I wish there was something we could be doing to help. But I don't know what that would be."

"Me either. I'm sure the police will tell us if there's anything we can do. We just have to wait."

"I'm so sick of waiting. All I ever do is wait. And it's always for bad things to happen."

"I know. How about we try to go back to bed and see if there are any more updates by morning?"

"Ok..."

Mark and I went back to the living room. I laid down and closed my eyes, listening to the tv that was still on. I'm really hoping we'll have some good news by tomorrow. Even if it's not that they rescued Riker, if it's at least something positive, I'll take that.