Chapter 12 : Yard work

Chapter 12

The next day...   

Riker POV

"Boys. Get up. Time for chores."

My eyes snapped open. I was hoping I'd wake up and realize this was all just a dream. But no. It's a real life nightmare.

Ross and I got up and went downstairs.

"You can start with the dishes," dad said.

"What about breakfast?" Ross asked.

"You can have breakfast when you earn it."

Ross looked like he was thinking of something to say back, so I grabbed his arm and dragged him over to the sink.

"Don't," I whispered to him.

Ross gave me a look.

"I'm serious," I whispered.

"I don't hear any dishes being washed," dad said.

I turned on the sink and grabbed a plate. It's better to just do what he says.

I gave Ross a towel so he could dry the dishes once I washed them.

I was thinking about Mark. What was he up to right now? Does he miss us? Is he happy we're back with our parents?

We finished the dishes so we were allowed to have some cereal for breakfast. I didn't want to eat, but I ate anyway so Ross wouldn't be mad at me.

We went back upstairs after that and got dressed for the day.

"Do you think we're going to go back to school?" Ross asked.

"Probably..."

I can't even imagine going back to school. I hope we don't have to go back anytime soon.

Dad said we could do whatever we wanted until 3:00 and then he wanted us outside for yard work.

I wanted to nap because I barely slept last night. But Ross wanted to talk.

I laid down on my bed and shut my eyes.

"Do you think this is what it's going to be like?" Ross asked.

"Be like what?"

"Wake up. Do chores. Eat. Do more chores. Eat. Sleep."

"I don't know. We'll just have to wait and see."

"I don't want to wait and see."

"I know you don't. But I need you to be patient. What happened to behaving? Why are you so different all of a sudden? It's like you're trying to pick a fight with dad every second."

"Because when we were at Mark's, I finally realized how much this was affecting you and how not ok it was. And I don't want either of us to have to live like this anymore."

"I get that. But trying to provoke dad is not the solution."

"Why not? If I can get him to do something, we can call the police and get out of here."

"Because you're annoying him. And I know he hasn't hurt us yet. But you're probably just making his anger build up more and more and what if he just explodes and does something really bad to us? Please stop trying to make him mad."

"Fine. But if he does something mean, like last night, I'm saying something and giving him a piece of my mind."

"Ross, no. Don't. It wasn't a big deal. Now please let me take a nap. I'm really tired."